converting website visitors RIP Warrren and a Open Prayer for Gwladys - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

RIP Warrren and a Open Prayer for Gwladys

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited April 2014 in Poultry Health and Welfare
It was inevitable I guess, as the Ancient Warren was in her eighth year. Dry eyes and almost a smile.
Warren lived an exceptionally long and healthy life. She quit laying about 20 months ago, having only laid a couple in her last 3 years. Always greedy and grumpy,never broody. She started sleeping a lot in the last few weeks, but her feathers felt lovely and she maintained a good weight. On Monday she looked very lethargic and spent much of the day asleep. When the chickens went down to the pen, I saw Artemis (Dark Brahma cock) standing over something, protecting....initially thought it was the dog's toy. It was Warrren....slumped over to the side. I bought her in. She ate heartily and slept inside overnight. Next day she went out and slept much of the day in the rare sunlight. Tuesday night she was bought in the house again. Wednesday morning she was slumped over and barely conscious and slipped quietly away during the morning.
I believe she never really had a moment of suffering in her whole long life. So dry eyes and a definite smile.
But Gwladys is a ewe....not due to lamb for at least 10 days, probably more. She has gone into early labour and is not progressing at all. Things do not look good. So....please join me in a prayer for this lovely lady who is super-friendly ex-bottle girl.

Sandie

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I always think of your Warren when I look at Nelly Dean, and wonder if this year will be her last. I've been wondering that for a few years now.
    Sounds like she didn't suffer much at the end, which is the best we can all hope for. Let's celebrate her life with Auntie Sandie;)

Gwladys - you hang in there girl, we are willing you on from Norfolk:)

Hx
  • SCRAGGY GIRLSCRAGGY GIRL Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I have everything crossed for Cwladys.

Sorry to hear about Warren but what a lucky girl she was to have such a long and healthy life with you. Jx
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Really rooting for Gwladys here Sandie. Hope to goodness she makes it after going so far. We lost one of our old 14 year old sheep just a few weeks ago. Shame about old Warren, but like you said she had a lovely long life and at least didn't linger too long. xxxx RIP old girl xxx
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I always loved hearing about Warren (then Ancient Warren) cos she looked like a batt but wasn't a batt and I do wonder what a relationship I could forge with a hen in 8 years when after 6 months rescue they're sitting on my lap and feet in the sun snoring their retirement away...must be fantastic:) But I also know that she had the best life possible and when you lose an old pet (like my 18 year old cat) you can't be too sad at the life you gave them...

Was Warren one of your good deed rescues, or did you raise her from chick?

Gwladys, of course has our thoughts and prayers...and everything crossed for a good news ending! M
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Aw Sandie , so sorry to hear about Warren ............but what a long and happy life shes had and a lovely way to go
    i really hope everything turns out OK for Gwladys and of course for her baby/ies
    such a worrying time for you
    sending good wishes and cwtches to you and this special girl
    Kath xxx
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Ahh, bless Warren, I'm pleased she had a peaceful end, she sounded a real character!

Fingers, toes and everything crossed for Gwladys,

Sarah
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Well, Gwladys pulled through. She was leaking birth fluids for many hours but not in labour from 10:00 in the morning. She was still doing the same when I checked her again before going to bed. I expected that she would expel two dead lambs at some stage. Well, one poor little soul was dead, but the other, tiny, but alive and vigorous.

Here is little Jack....already a unlikely survivor

and taking a well-deserved rest.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Sooooo pleased for Gwladys and Gwladette:D
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Looking forward to Jack stories - being of course an honorary poultry something or other:rolleyes: Welcome to the forum Jack!:D
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    hes a true blessing , such a little miracle
    so pleased Gwladys pulled through in the end
    was it the stillborn causing the problems ? poor little thing ...and poor you for having to deal with it
    thinking of you and hoping the rest of the lambing goes throug without any hitches or losses
    xxkath
  • SCRAGGY GIRLSCRAGGY GIRL Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    So relieved that Gwladys pulled through and that she has at least one baby to look after and what a lovely picture of Jack, looking forward to hearing all about him. Jx
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I too have loved hearing about old Warren and wondered what it would be like to have known a hen for such a long time. It sounds as if her passing was gentle, so if it was her time, it was a kind way to go in the end. I am going to miss hearing about her Sandie. Who is your oldest girl now?

Congrats on little Jack. Do you think the dead lamb is connected with the other still births you have had?
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Ahhh, he's a beaut!
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I had an awful start to lambing this year, losing 10 lambs at least to all types of problems.

Thankfully things have settled down now and at least I have some live and healthy ones.

Only 3 ewes to go and I'm finished lambing for the year.

Sandie