converting website visitors Broody in winter??? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Broody in winter???

hpiotr.1996 Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts
I need advice on what to do about one of my pullets. She has been setting on about 10 eggs for the past 6 to 8 days and I know that she's going to stay there (she's made it very clear). The weather has been between 10 and 30 degrees lately and I can't leave her in the coop with the others because she's been attacking them to defend her nest. We don't have any other place that's very warm though. She is less than a year old and she's a buff orpington. We want her to be able to hatch the chicks but I fear that it's too cold. Any advice on what to do is appreciated.

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Do you have a garage or outhouse that you could put her in? She would probably settle down in a pet carrier with plenty of warm bedding. Failing that maybe she'd be no trouble in a corner indoors (in the pet carrier of course).
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Hi you are in the States. and I'm guessing that your 10-30degrees is fahrenheit not celsius! I believe that fertility is usually low during the 'off' months so whether the eggs are fertile or not is another question. However, if you are wish to allow the hen to hatch the eggs then you need to move her to her own sheltered coop/run which needs to be rain proof and wind proof in the temperatures you have now. Since the eggs may not be fertile, count the days and don't let her go too far over the hatching date. Do you have a sheltered area for her? You should be keeping the chicks separate from the older hens anyway so maybe you need another small coop/run?

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management