Moulting

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited December 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I'm just throwing this one in to say baldness does not always mean moulting.

This is Moel

Moel means 'bald'.

This young lady is 4 and that is about as many feathers as she ever has on her head. No Naked Neck genes,either. It isn't caused by the boys,either. She is supposed to be a Blue Partridge Brahma. She took almost a year before she had her adult feathers,being mainly downy up until them. She Has odd looking feathers on her wings and cannot fly (Brahmas rarely try,anyway, as they are too heavy for their wings).

Moel is one of of only two of my hens who are currently laying.....5 or 6 days a week,good strong eggs.

So,although my lawn is inches deep in feathers,they are not hers.

Sandie

Comments

• DrZaibullahKhan Junior Member
    edited December 2013
    I think she is bald and it is not moulting.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Sandie if you've only got one hen (from your masses) laying then that makes me feel a lot better! I've never known a winter quite like it.
    If I'm very lucky I get an egg or two a week from young hyline Perky (about 10 months old - farm reject!). It is small white and fairly weak:(
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Bless her - she's georgeous! Feathers are weird - my Satchmo has always had a bald patch on her neck and Tikka has never grown a tail, both after 18 months rescue!:) M
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I have two hens laying,Helen....baldy Moel and little Ginger (Naked Neck).....the rest are competing for filling the coop and garden with feathers. This is the worst and latest moult I've ever seen,presumably related to the good summer and mild autumn. I was down to one layer when Jordan stopped and turned into a porcupine, but then Ginger started up then.

We don't mind the 'rejects' though,do we Marie? Standard of perfection is not the aim (and just as well ! )

What an embarrassment,though. From ALWAYS having too many eggs and giving them to folk on a regular basis,I am now even denying the dog his breakfast eggs.I am hoping and praying that I don't have to buy supermarket eggs......I have just one tray with 11 eggs on it in the fridge.

Sandie
    edited December 2013
    I know how you feel Sandie. Last year I followed Marie's advice and froze quite a few eggs while I still had plenty, but then never needed them after all. This year - did I do it again? No :rolleyes:
    edited December 2013
    As a bit of a hoarder,my freezer is usually too full :(

Well,I still have 11 in the fridge.....2 laid yesterday, 2 used in a cake.

Oh and have I ever confesses that I don't like the taste of eggs :rolleyes: Dates back to when I was a kid and 'sickly'.....so my mother fed raw eggs and sherry to me daily. So....no Salmonella.....I grew up.....with an aversion to both sherry and eggs.

Sandie
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Sounds revolting Sandie. I have also never worked out why people like that eggnog drink (I have never tried it....) at Christmas.. It is actually a really good time of year to give any meds to the girls.... ivermectin/praziquantel/etc that require withdrawal.. with no eggs there is no problem.... bit sad though when you are down to one/two eggs a day to have to get rid of those precious ones!
    edited December 2013
    That does sound a pretty awful concoction! The worst thing I was given as a kid was milk and advocaat by my Great Auntie Alice:eek:
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    When I had a cold Mum used to give me hot milk with whiskey in it...what a waste of whiskey!...I'd much have preferred a raw egg...at least you can get it down without that revolting skin forming!:eek: :eek: ...yuk!:D M
  • tnoahlessard Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Thats funny because alcohol depresses the immune system.
    edited December 2013
    There doesn't have to be any logic!

Oh,Marie,the raw eggs left this vile slime in the mouth.....I can remember it still (and it has been quite a few years)

Sandie
    edited December 2013
    I could never stomach the free school milk (showing my age now!), especially in the summer time with that very warm cream on top:mad:
    edited December 2013
    Aaaaargh,Helen,you have reminded me of another 'thing most vile'.

I think I gained the reputation as being the clumsiest pupil in the school by ALWAYS managing to knock it over.

Still don't like milk either......WHAT a fusspot!

Sandie