converting website visitors Eggs vs Eggs - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Eggs vs Eggs

rocknum Junior Member
edited November 2013 in "Off Your Chest"
Is there any way to tell apart an egg from a BIO raised Hen versus one raised at an egg producing farm?
I've heard that eggs may vary in size and further more the BIO ones have more nutrients...

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    interesting question
    i suppose what it boils down to is nature vs man made
    hens raised in the open , free range benefit from natural nutrition and sunshine to keep them healthy and laying good quality eggs
    hens raised indoors need to be fed additives to produce good eggs - as they are usually only kept for a year the emphasis is on making eggs not the well being of the hen... vitamins are added to their feed in lieu of sunshine and marigold extract is added to colour the yolks
    of course mankind, try as they might , can never compete with mother nature so the false colouring is still much paler then a free range hens egg- the difference is obvious to anyone who has kept chickens ,not just in looks but in taste too
    as for size - as i mentioned the egg farm hens are only kept for a year , when they are at their peak production (they are then either slaughtered or ,a few lucky ones get rescued and live out the rest of their short lives with kind hearted people)
    as hens mature they dont lay as many eggs but the ones they do lay are bigger
    the egg farm eggs are therefore all from hens up to the age of 18 months so their eggs are all a set size which is what the egg farms want
    egg farms also scan and check the eggs for flaws etc...any substandard eggs are sold in bulk for catering. they also keep the eggs for a week to give give any blood spots a chance to fade and become unnoticable..so any eggs you buy in the supermarket arent really fresh compared say if you went to a free range farmer and picked up a box or kept free ranging chooks in your garden
    as all food reduces in nutritional value as it ages then i assume this means the free range eggs would be more nutritious just because they are fresher even without taking into account that they are more natural
    xkath
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't know the science...but we give our rescue exbatt eggs away to neighbours and any workmen doing stuff...and all say they taste and look better than even the organic or free range supermarket ones...as Kath says, fresh laid 2 days ago must be better than commercial 3 weeks ago...you know it makes sense!:D M
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    All eggs are not equal.

Never was a truer word said! You cannot beat the flavour and colour of an egg produced by a hen who is free ranging on good ground, with good feed/grass etc. Even shop bought free range eggs can be inferior. It just depends on the farm they are from and the way they are looked after. Waitrose do some very nice ones (Burford Browns - lol, what the **** is a Burford Brown) I know because I had to buy some :eek: :eek: :eek: for the boys as our girls are moulting and we are down to 2 eggs a day.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    When we have freshly rescued battery hens, the yolks are just as golden UNTIL you cook them - then they look very pale and unappetising. And as Marie says -you can't beat the flavour:D

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management