converting website visitors this site is full of spam - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

this site is full of spam

solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
!!!!!

Comments

• monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks - interesting. here's hoping I don't have to deal with them ever!
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Interesting stuff Helen, glad I've finished my breakfast :D
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    brilliant thread helen and well written
    admin should make this a sticky
    thanks

xkath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Good advice,Helen.

Glad to say I have not had a tapeworm problem with my chooks.....but the cats....eugh....they come out several inches long each time I worm them (both great rodent catchers).

The next time I 'dislodge' one from the sheep I will take a pic.....they are feet long at times......which reminds me....I have to collect 10 separate, fresh samples of sheep poo to the vet tomorrow....I am one of the few folk out here who finds out whether worming is actually necessary rather than 'routinely' pouring worm drenches down their throats every couple of months.

At least I can safely talk poo on this site!

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Can't wait to see that pic Sandie! It's strange how so few people take the trouble to have worm egg counts done isn't it? I used to get them done at least once a year until this year:rolleyes:

Kath - thanks for your comments; I'm sure you remember that we burned the night oil over this problem recently! I was determined to get some facts together as the info online was sketchy at best. I've pestered three different vets since too!
  • stacyl Junior Member
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for this important post.
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Yuk! Certainly renders my maggot phobia more irrelevant! Well done you and hope it does the trick...I hope to continue to not have 'interesting' cases!:eek: M
  • kirsten4chickens Junior Member
    edited October 2013
    Hello.. I was just wondering if there are available natural remedies for tapeworms instead of those chemical remedies? Has anyone tried a natural formula and how effective is it. As much as possible, we like our chickens to take organic foods and avoid chemicals for the meds as well. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    edited October 2013
    Good question, and I'm not keen on chemicals myself!

There is an old wive's tale about crushed pumpkin seeds - tried them, didn't work at all! If you find anything please share.

By the way - only treat for tapeworms if you actually see the cysts.
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    It looks like the accurate dose for poultry is 10mg/kg Praziquantel. Just to give everyone an idea if they have small banties to dose!

Also I have read that Praziquantel causes the tapeworm to lose their ability to resist digestion (something the segments would need to be able to pass through the digestive system unharmed). Therefore it is apparently unusual to see whole tapeworms passed after dosing, usually just parts of them may appear. So the chooks digest the worms..... justice....

Edit -- the scientists are not certain how this med works so whether its by paralysis and the worm is then digested in the intestine, or by some chemical interaction in the worm..... it works.....

Is that what you saw Solar?
    edited November 2013
    That's interesting Jules - yes the actual tapeworm in my pic came out before treatment, and none were seen after treatment, despite frequent inspections;)
    edited November 2013
    That makes sense then. Good to know because I was expecting to see the whole worms excreted, like roundworms when they are killed.....
  • kirsten4chickens Junior Member
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for this info about tape worms. Reading it already makes me terrified for my chickens. Hoping I don't have to deal with them as well. You mentioned about some medicines to get rid of these parasites. Has anyone tried a natural remedy instead? How effective are they?
    edited November 2013
    Should you come across this problem I would suggest you go straight for the meds mentioned by Solarbats. If you Google tapeworms in poultry, you will find lots of posts where people have struggled to get rid of it. These meds seem to be very, very effective! Tapeworms are not common though (not like roundworm), so I wouldn't worry about it... just keep an eye out for the signs.
  • DrZaibullahKhan Junior Member
    edited December 2013
    Great work. Keep it up.
    Zaib
    edited December 2013
    Thank you Zaib:)

Are you a veterinarian?

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management