converting website visitors Flock Downsized - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Flock Downsized

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited September 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I have sold my rogue hen and her 9 chicks which she hatched in the hedge within 24 hours of advertising them locally. I only asked £25 for them, and the couple snapped them up....but I'm very pleased as I had decided that they would only go to somebody who I thought would look after them well. This couple fitted the bill perfectly.
Though they hadn't got a lot of experience of poultry care,they were very interested in the welfare of the hen and the chicks and took the names of wormers,lice treatment etc .I gave them some DE and chick crumb as starters. They also have 23 acres, a very nice house and outbuildings etc....but I was influenced only by the fact that they stroked my very friendly sheep,stinky dog,cats and very protective and pecky momma hen. They invited to come and see momma hen and chicks whenever we were in the area.
So....outcome....one happy couple and OH has quit moaning.
RESULT!

Sandie

Comments

• mollydolly Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    oh Brilliant

I can't believe she managed to hatch all of those in the hedge. And now she has a lovely new home just perfect.
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I'm very surprised,too. We have lots of foxes,crows,buzzards and other birds of prey. It is VERY dark here at night,too.
    I can only assume that the dog,cats and lights which are heat sensitive and are designed to come on automatically when we need to go to the agricultural shed in the pitch black have kept the foxes away.
    I'm very happy with the outcome.

Sandie
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    That's a perfect outcome Sandie...even if the new owners are green at chook keeping, as long as they're loving and responsible those chooks will be fine!:) I should know...you couldn't have got much greener than us 3 years ago!:eek: I hope you gave them the details of this forum so we can keep up with their progress!:) M
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    That's great Sandie................ I bet they will all be a happy family .
    And it keeps OH from moaning too lol.

Lin x x x
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Great news Sandie, lovely to know they have a gone to a good home. xx
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Ah, lovely to here, nice post to read!
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh the silence from the OH must be golden:D

And the new owners have their own expert in the neighbourhood to call on if they need help - what could be better:cool:
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited September 2013
    The family settled in easily and the new owners are getting Flubenvet, diatomaceous earth etc and are vaccinating the chicks,so I am sure they will be well cared for.
    Unfortunately they are not very internet savvy and don't currently have a computer (!) so they can't join in the forum as yet.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Well they have you Sandie:)
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    perfect outcome -hope you spent the money on something nice for yourself seeing as oh didnt want you to hatch :p
    xxkath