Episode 2.....9 chicks.

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited August 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Would you credit it?....I heard clucking and cheeping from the bank this morning....and,sure enough there were chicks.

As it was raining, and as a few of the chicks were venturing into the long grass I decided to move Miss Aggro......and her 9 chicks and one pipped egg! Now,if I had planned this,looked after her carefully and provided A* accommodation,maybe 4 would have hatched. Miss Aggro has been out in the rain,at the mercy of the foxes,her eggs have rolled twice down the bank and have gone cold twice, and she has been generally neglected. All her eggs have hatched bar the infertile ones broken in the last hasty move.

I moved her and her chicks plus pipped egg and she immediately settled into the cardboard box,clucking contentedly.

OH is furious!

Sandie

Comments

• Barley Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Uh oh Sandie...... hope OH calms down soon. If not pack all your suitcases and get the ferry over here and I will accommodate you all lol. I know you could not leave the sheep etc ...only joking.
    Sounds a bit like us with the duck eggs. We candled them once, rather than the normal amount of times, left her to it and all 6 hatched perfectly !!!

Look forward to seeing some pics.

Lin x x x
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Oh Sandie, it just goes to show you, like you say you wouldn't credit it. Glad everyone is well all the same. xx
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Brilliant Sandie...Miss Aggro seems to be a puddycat at heart...as I'm sure is your OH really:eek: Good luck and congratulations on your hatch: "Carry on...as you were"!:D M
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Lovely Sandie .....very cute :D

I am happy to have sheep as well ................ they can share with the pony .

Lin x x
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Carry on Regardless I say:D
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    youve got some very pretty boys there sandie:D
    i notice one or two with naked necks
    hope hubby doesnt stay cross too long after all , it wasnt planned - they are little accidents:D
    xxkath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Miss Aggro is an excellent mum and is much more relaxed since the chicks have hatched. "Her" babies really do look like she was 'taking donations'...one black as night,three with feathered legs, one Naked Neck, and several looking like Welsummers....which could be her own eggs as she is Warren X ?.

The Welsummer-type appear to be 3 female to one male....so.as Kath says, there must be something wrong.

OH remains furious about them....so I may try to sell them as 'hen and chicks'....quite honestly I think they are a 'starter flock' as they seem to be s nice mix of breeds....pity OH doesn't see it that way,

Sandie
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Oh Sandie, what a perfect little family they make against all odds. Fingers crossed hubby mellows and you don't have to part with them. xxx
  • Chris Mullins Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Wonderful story and beautiful healthy babes.
    hee hee
    Auntie Chris
    and the seven