converting website visitors A 'Carry On Film'...or worse - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

A 'Carry On Film'...or worse

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited August 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Oh boy, the last few days have been crazy with the broody hens. Moel is safely installed in the agricultural shed and is a gentle broody...she barely complains at all even when moved....her eggs look too porous but she sits tight and behaves.

Miss Aggro,however, is giving me major headaches.

OH will toss any hen off eggs without a thought for what they may contain. I found Miss Aggro (4 years old and never before broody) on a bank in long grass (the small bit I had asked my hubby to leave having found baby hedgehogs which I am currently looking after) about 10 days ago. I have not dared to let him know they are there as he will kick her off. The area is fox-riddled. There were 11 eggs.

Yesterday I found eggs rolling down the bank in full view. I collected them up quickly and candled a few.....prominent veins.....I move them back and try to push them under Miss Aggro.....she silently latches onto my right ring finger......OUCH...hubby is coming out of the house, so I have to keep quiet....OUCH....hen hanging onto my finger.....OUCH. I wander off with bleeding finger and false smile....OH has strimmer in hand. "What are you doing?" I ask....cutting the grass by the hedge he says. "Walk the area before strimming to move any wildlife" I suggest. He strims the area by the hedge and does not look down to see the very obvious Miss Aggro as I ask him to strim some dock and nettles off by the compost. How did he miss Miss Aggro???

A short while later and Miss Aggro has rolled the eggs right out into the open....Oh no...visible to everyone.....I call OH to some nettles and the strimmer line breaks....then it starts to rain. I enlist help of daughter and 2 pairs of sturdy kitchen gauntlets. I pick up Miss Aggro who hangs onto the gauntlet like a limpet with her beak...daughter picks up the eggs and drops 2.....both thankfully not fertile...we move up the bank to the area by the fence and place the eggs in a group. I put Miss Aggro down and she immediately arranges and sits on them.

If anything hatches it will be a miracle.

OH says "Whatever happened to your finger?' "Oh I caught it on the gate" says I.

I'm too soft for this game, I think,

Sandie

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    OOO ER Missus!:D
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    ha Ha that made me chuckle.
    Maybe you could install CCTV cameras and then share the pictures with us !!!

Oh you are a soft touch sandie but with a heart of gold :p

Lin x x x x
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    What a vision Sandie!
    edited August 2013
    Made me chuckle like Sid James:D
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Carry On...hatching!:D I do hope you get some little miracles...like little Yellow Peril who helped you type on this forum I think I remember?...good luck!;) M
  • Finchlark Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Definitely a sit com (pun intended). Can't wait for next instalment.:D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Neggst episode coming soon

Sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    so thats what you get up to up the valleys :D
    funny hubby didnt notice miss aggro but typical of men - send them to look for something in a drawer or fridge and they never can see it yet we go along and pick it out straight away:D
    cant wait to see how many hatch for you and your methods of hiding them from hubby
    xkath
    edited August 2013
    So tell us Sandie - do you resemble Barbara Windsor in any way?:D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    No,more like Sid James,Helen.

Sandie
    edited August 2013
    Can I audition for the Hattie Jaques part?:eek: :D