converting website visitors Bumblefoot ,Mites and Guilty Secrets. - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Bumblefoot ,Mites and Guilty Secrets.

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited August 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I've been a bit quiet of late,so I thought I would just share a few stories and a VERY guilty secret.

I had a horrid problem with red mites a couple of years back and feared they would be back with a vengeance this hot summer.I bought a 25kg sack of DE when I had my outbreak and do a weekly coop dusting. No trouble at all this year.

I have a horrid case of bumble foot which is slowly resolving with 'squeezing' every two or three days. I have great difficulty finding anyone to hold the hen whilst I 'operate' as everybody finds the procedure 'gross'...it all stems from the lamb who had a septic leg which I opened and the stinking pus shot about 3 feet onto OH and all over daughter who was holding the lamb.

And the guilty secret....last week i found a hen by the kitchen door first thing in the morning....just one who failed to go into the coop thought I. I thought wrong.....I found her sitting on eggs in the bit of long grass which I persuaded OH to leave 'for wildlife'. She's seriously vicious,so I have no idea how many she is on or how far along they are. She is also at serious risk of fox attack as she is absolutely out in the open. If OH finds out he will throw her off as I have way too many hens.For the moment I am leaving her where she is....but whatever I do I cannot do right for doing wrong.

Sandie

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    great news that the de is working
    i had them in my old chicken house but so far , touch wood, none in the current coops
    bumblefoot !yikes !i dont know how id cope if i had to deal with that again . i hope youre wearing gloves after that infection you caught off the lambs ...its important to keep your decimating fingers in tip top condition
    your little secret is safe with me - i wont tell a soul, promise :D ...lets just hope theres not a double figure number of eggs under her :eek: ...if you can just keep them hidden until theyre fully grown you can make out theyre last years chicks and have been there all along
    take care
    xxkath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    ;) I won't tell a soul about Mama Hen:D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited August 2013
    It has rained all night here and she is still sitting fast.....poor thing looks like a drowned rat. The eggs must be wet under her.
    I want to bring her in, but know that I said I wasn't having any chicks this year. I have carefully dislodged any hen who sat in the nest boxes,but this hen has obviously collected a stash on the bank. I'm just going to have to leave her there (if she survives) for another couple of weeks.....unless OH finds her and she IS just about visible from the path.

Sandie
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    She's probably only visible if you're looking for her...he'll never notice and if he does, all he'll see is a hen having a nap in the grass:rolleyes: ...fingers crossed the fox doesn't either - she must be determined, it's raining non-stop here too! And when you have another clutch of chicks, just adopt the new shoes, clothes trick..."those old things?, I've had them for ages, you just didn't notice!...they're bantams!"

We've had the worst mites ever this year...DE, poultry shield and white spirit slowly getting the better of them - and burning their bedding every day! Not experienced bumblefoot yet thank god.

Best of luck for the hatch!:D !M
    edited August 2013
    Well,it's worse than I thought.
    I found her off the eggs this morning...and there's 11 of them.
    At the same time I noticed a wet and bedraggled Moel......it occurred to me that she,too,had been out overnight.I went out for a short while,and,sure enough,she is nowhere to be found.I am sure that she,too,is sitting on eggs somewhere.
    It never rains but yet it pours.....pretty apt for the weather we have had here.

Sandie
    edited August 2013
    Oh dear - do we need to have a whip 'round and buy you a new calculator;) :D ;)
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Or rather than saying you have 60+ hens, just say less than 100:eek: :D !M
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    oh oh :eek:
    did you know theres a new disease spreading aeound thats turning fully grown chickens into midgets overnight ;)
    do you think hubby will swallow that one ???????
    xkath
    edited August 2013
    Some good suggestions,girls.

I have found Moel's eggs today (7 of them) she is brooding only a few feet away from the other broody. I took the eggs and candled them. They are all very porous and about a week in. I doubt that anything will hatch from these in any case,but will transfer her to the agricultural shed.

The other broody will have to stay put as she is ultra-aggressive!

Sandie
    edited August 2013
    Well at least that's only half a guilty secret now;) It's getting better all the time!

Did you notice my suggestion on Marie's thread about tipping your bumblefoot hen on her back to treat her?
    edited August 2013
    Yes,Helen,thanks. My daughter always holds Blackchops on her back whilst I 'take the pus'. It works pretty well and is a good tip.

Predictably Moel didn't 'shake a feather' when moved to the agricultural shed...she just took a look around and promptly went into the cardboard box in the shed and straight onto the eggs.

Meanwhile Miss Aggro is back on her clutch on the bank....with hubby still 'leaving that patch of long grass for the wildlife'....and believe me she IS wild.

Sandie
  • mollydolly Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    blimey no way our local fox would not find a hen sitting in the grass somewhere. Maybe you should sell a couple of hens make some room? I see people looking for hens all the time.

11 eggs I guess she must be a brahma sitting then!!
    edited August 2013
    I am amazed that she is still with us,but we do have a 'patrolling' Border Collie and 2 cats,plus heat-sensitive lights which come on to illuminate the path very close to where she is sitting.Though I wouldn't dream of relying on these things for protection,they must serve as something of a deterrent.

Round here everyone has hens,so only the 'pedigrees' of of interest.

Miss Aggro is an out-and-out mongrel of about 5 who had a Warren for a mother,but is of 'generous' proportions to say the least.

Oh well,time to get the chooks up.

Sandie