converting website visitors Fox takes the geese - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Fox takes the geese

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
Not my favourite bird, but we annually have a family of Canada geese which nest on the central island in our mini lake. They make a huge mess of the area around the pond set aside as a wildlife area.

This year they hatched 5 goslings about 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday I did not notice them, and today went to check.

The pond was littered with feathers, including large adult feathers.
In spite of their messy natures and aggression I still feel sad about their demise.

Sandie

Comments

• 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    That's really sad Sandie. They are such beautiful birds. I'm sure the parents must have fought hard to protect them. Not a very long life is it. :(
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    That's so sad. Beautiful birds
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    I know they're a bit of a pest, but all the same, that's very sad to hear - in spite of the mess, you'll probably miss them!:( M
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Did the fox swim the pond to get to the island???
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I've no idea as to how the fox took the geese or as to whether they were on the bank (which they have been much of the time recently) or whether they were on the central island....but there were feathers everywhere.

Foxes, I understand, are very good swimmers and don't turn a hair at swimming quite long distances if they have hungry cubs.

Messy, noisy, aggressive at times.....but I still miss the geese.

Sandie
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Oh that's so sad. I had no idea that a fox would swim a pond.... I had thought that ducks would be safe on a central island so that's a bit of a shocker (had been planning pond/island/ducks for our new place when we eventually move).
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    thats such a shame . lets hope the adults managed to get away and will have more babies .
    xkath
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Gosh, didn't think even a hungry mummy fox would take on a Canada Goose, the ones round here are really, really vicious! I know they are a pain, but I rather like them as well.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Well at least they spared your chooks by taking the geese, but it's harsh out there isn't it?