converting website visitors YOUR views wanted, YOUR opportunity to improve the site. - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

YOUR views wanted, YOUR opportunity to improve the site.

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
I hope that I have caught the attention of some of us with my last 'thread'. Here is the questionnaire. Please feel free to answer all or any of the questions or to provide 'freestyle' feedback both positive and negative.

Remember YOUR opinion counts.

1.Do you have any suggestions for improving the forum on ThePoultrySite?

2. As a forum user how regularly do you read ThePoultrySite?

3 Are there any site features which you find unhelpful or annoying?

4 If you read ThePoultrySite which elements are of particular interest ?

5 Are there any features which you would prefer to have omitted?

6 What content do you find particularly relevant and what would you like to see more of?

7 Do you have any suggestions for improving the site?

Most of the questions are from the Site Administrators, so no credit to me!

Sandie

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    you cant fix whats not broken but here goes-
    1 make it easier to post pics onto threads
    2 ive only read it once as its aimed at producers not pet chook keepers.
    3 none
    4-
    5-
    6-
    7 just the photos . i really struggle as im useless computer wise .

i spend a lot of time on here so a drinks/snack machine in the corner would be nice ;)
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Like Kath, I think it's great, but to answer the questions below;

1. Make photos easier to add, maybe increase the filesize?
    Make the site easier to use from a smartphone - ie I can't use the smilies that I'd like (in limited numbers :D ) when I post from my mobile.
    Allow short replies - currently if you post something like "awww cute" it tells you it is to short to post.

2. Very rarely - like Kath says I don't feel it's aimed at a backyard chicken keeper.

3-6. Can't answer as I don't really read the articles (sorry!)

7. Just what I've said above.

Thank you though to everyone who works hard to keep the forum growing/going - we do appreciate you :D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Just nudging this back up to the top of the posts as feedback from as many users as possible is the best way forward.......thanks to the two with the fastest fingers who have already responded.

I have a Mac and use Aperture and Picasa....uploading to this site is about as fast (or as slow) as to other sites for me (Very slow internet connection in the sticks). However, uploading to, say eBay is VERY much faster.

More replies pleas....even if they are one-worders (but please NOT words replaced by these ******* !).

Sandie
  • Henzilla Member
    edited May 2013
    Just tried to answer in detail & it had logged me out! Grrr! :mad:
    Will do it properly but have to go out but that's one on the list!
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Here is my reply to the Questionnaire

1. Making files bigger so easier to post photos please.
    2. Rarely
    3. Nothing at the moment
    7. nothing at moment.

Loving the site and how helpful it is to many many people. Thank You

Lin x x
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    1. Make it easier for people to post new threads. New users tend to find this a problem (and I have to go around the house too).
    Also - can it be made possible for us to change the titles of our threads, making them easier to find later if required.

2. Nearly every day (I know I should get a life:D ).

3. Any chance of a bigger mailbox for pm's and a bigger word allowance. Oh and those smileys.....

4. The Disease Guide is very good, with some great pics which someone has worked hard to feature (thanks to them), and occasionally there are media links of interest (in a science-geeky sort of way!). The shop can be useful at times too.

5. Perhaps those ****** could be *******!

6. The Health & Welfare Forum!

7. I'd love to see the Disease Guide presented with a symptom checker if that's possible. Currently you need to have a good idea of what's wrong to be able to check it out.
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    1. Private messaging - if you've exceeded your quota and try to send another PM the system 'says no' just as you try to send it - would be more helpful if it told you as you tried to start a message.

Searching the forum - bit of a glitch on the iPad - if you click search it brings up the usual box then as soon as you go to type then the box closes - you have to open and start again and it works normally.

2. I try to look at the health & welfare forum every day - sometimes am a bit more random. About once a month I'll flick the other forums and have a look at the headline articles and read anything that particularly catches my eye (finding the stuff on China particularly interesting at the mo). I also flick the other sites - pig, fish etc occasionally so it's useful to have easy links to those.

3. Just the spam - but managing that has greatly improved thanks!

4. In addition to 2. above, the disease guide is interesting and useful - if a bit technical for me!

5. No

6. The most useful thing for me is just having the network. I have learned more about chicken keeping from the members here than any guide or book could have taught me...having that practical experience at your fingertips really is a lifesaver for my feathered friends. As a backyard chicken keeper, it would be good to have some articles aimed at that level, but there are other magazines and websites that do that...so as long as the health and welfare forum stays - that's perfect for me.

7. Nothing springs to mind.

Thank you - you are all doing a great job!...especially the Super Moderator with the over eager decimating finger!:eek: :D Marie
    edited May 2013
    Please provide your input if you have not already done so.

Thanks,

Sandie (decimating finger disabled).
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I too love it the way it is Sandie. I would go on probably every day for a little look in case I've missed something. I have only ever thought of looking at the health and welfare part though maybe I should expand.

Again the photos for me can be a bit confusing. I work it out but tend to forget it all by the next time I go to post, but that's just me not being able to remember anything :D On the whole love it, love it love it xxx
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I log in most days usually under new posts so I get any Iv missed.

I usually only log into the forum and do any other research through searching via google which occasionally does direct me back to this site

I so agree with the point regarding the private messages I spend ages composing a message and when iv finished it tells me my box is full and there is no function to keep it until you have deleted some posts.

Also agree make it easier to post photos.

The site and its members are a great comfort and help to me when things are going pear shaped. Keep up the good work would not be without my friends on here.
  • elvie Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Hello Everyone!

1. No but perhaps a few more smiley options :D

2. Try to log on at least 3 times (ish) a week

3. None

4. I have looked at Poultry Diseases and also visited and bought from the shop which was very helpful and informative when sorting my order!

5. No

6. I think the list of poultry diseases is very good and it would be great if the symptoms were listed alongside the disease.

7.No

Just to add to this, I think this is such a valuable site to be a member of and so friendly. I would be at a loss without it and find it very supportive in everything.

Love Elvie xxx :)
    edited May 2013
    Anyone else want to chip in?

Doesn't matter if you are a 'regular' or an 'occasional dipper'.The more responses the Admins get, the more likely that the site will appeal more to you AND to a wider audience.

Sandie
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    1. Mail boxes have limited capacity can they be enlarged?
    2. Every day unless events in the flock/family prevent me
    3. The rude word filter.... bit frustrating when dealing with cocks etc.... :rolleyes: (oh it let me put that In......)
    4. Have looked through the disease guide many times. Very useful though more photos and info could only make it a better resource. Perhaps have a health zone a bit like Wikipedia where we can upload our own info and photos? Open only to members who have belonged for a while to stop spammers?
    7. Some way of making threads easier to find. Those relating to members' experience and knowledge in dealing with specific problems ie prolapse, sour crop, impaction, fox attack etc
    But this is a great site, loads of info and the forums are inhabited by a great bunch of people always willing to try and help anyone out! So thank you to the administrators who run it.
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    1.Do you have any suggestions for improving the forum on ThePoultrySite?

2. As a forum user how regularly do you read ThePoultrySite?

3 Are there any site features which you find unhelpful or annoying?

4 If you read ThePoultrySite which elements are of particular interest ?

5 Are there any features which you would prefer to have omitted?

6 What content do you find particularly relevant and what would you like to see more of?

7 Do you have any suggestions for improving the site?

1. I like the old set up (boring!) but this one got used to now...
    2.Nowadays only occasionally but more back here than any other place apart from fb so that is staying poswer me thinks
    3.as it has changed, and ive not been on im still getting used to the new layout, i like the old drop down menu!!
    4the dieases info
    5.as a vegan alot of the world is painful for me, but it comes with the territory..I would love every creature to have a life free from pain and suffering. I hate to think that there are farmed aniamls born to be slaughtered fo food, but this part of the site is a life saver
    6. poultry health and welfare where good "guys" rule!
    7.bring back the drop down menu on the forum and allow better search facilities

thanks !!
    L:p
    edited May 2013
    Just thought of something else:

Could the Administrators make the site compatible with Word documents? I once wrote quite a long thread on Word, then when I copied it to the forum there were a lot of odd symbols in it.
    edited May 2013
    There are now quite a few helpful suggestions. Thank you to everyone who responded, and further comments are still very welcome.

I'm sure the Admins. will have been monitoring this thread and will acting on the suggestions where it is feasible.

Sandie
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Just one more thing I thought about.
    Not sure if it is my computer ? but.....
    When a post has loads of replies after a while I can not see the last ones. I am talking about 25 - 30 replies .
    Thanks
    Lin x
    edited May 2013
    Lin - have you tried changing your display mode to "linear"?