converting website visitors No place for a Broody Hen - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

No place for a Broody Hen

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited April 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
One of my hens appeared, as if by magic, over the last couple of mornings when I went to turn the chickens out. First night i thought she had just been locked out, but, as it happened over 3 days, I know it can't be the case.

Today I watched her. she fed, then walked determinedly to our half-destroyed building (An aged barn which threatened to fall onto us, so had a little help from the neighbour's tractor a few weeks ago. It's all loose and dangerous rubble (no time to do much with it during lambing).....and into it she went. I followed her, risking life and limb. There she was, under a sheet of collapsed corrugated iron. She pecked like a demon when I tried to lift her....several eggs.

Hubby is furious....but I'm leaving her....never been very good at saying 'no' to broody hens.But...the is just about as bad as it could be.

Oh boy....spring has hardly started and the broody hens are gathering!

Sandie

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    here you go again sandie lol:D
    is she a brahma or are your le fleches broody birds too?
    georgie hasnt started yet ...but its just a matter of time
    xxkath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited April 2013
    This is a Naked Neck who I hatched last year, Kath.

And THIS is the 'bomb site'. The hen is under the fallen roof timber , behind the blue bucket!

We currently have gales and heavy rain.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    :eek: !:eek: ! :eek: !
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oooh I can just feel some names coming to me now...!:D How nature survives through all upheaval is amazing...although I appreciate somewhat inconvenient!:eek: M
    edited April 2013
    Oh crumbs,

Broody hen came off the 'nest' today to eat. She is sitting on 15...all shapes and sizes, so she must have been 'accepting donations'. She's a dainty little thing, so no chance of her covering 15 and she may have been sitting through frosts, gales, floods etc, so unlikely that many/any will hatch. the eggs are in a far too dangerous place for me to get into in order to candle them.

Oh heck!

Sandie
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh Jeez, that looks lethal!!

Silly hen - so has she given up brooding now? Will you candle to see if any are viable, or do you think it's too late for them?

I love hens but sometimes they can be a little daft!
    edited April 2013
    She only came off for a feed/poop/drink break and shot off quickly back to them afterwards.

The eggs are under fallen roof timbers and corrugated iron, quite far out of safe reach, so I can't safely even get to them.`She is black and ever so difficult to see, so I guess from her point of view it is a good place to brood.However, the fox does his nightly rounds and she is very far from safe (The neighbour had lambs taken only a few days ago).

Broody hens can be quite brainless, so i am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Sandie
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh bless her, I guess there is no way to fox proof it either is there, well not without you and her getting buried under it!

I wish her luck...:D
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    i hope she stays safe...chances are a fox may be suspicious and wary of entering there.
    15 eggs , bless her , her eyes must be bigger than her booty.
    i boiled my solitary egg today..ready for their breakfast tomorrow
    i know chooks lay less eggs as they age ..georgie managed 12 last year ..she laid 1 egg last week ....dont tell me thats going to be it for the year:(
    a joke is a joke but thats just a pantomime:eek:
    xxkath
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oh Sandie, :eek: poor wee mite. You're braver than I am, I couldn't sleep in my bed. I would have to have her out. xx
  • Chris Mullins Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    hee, hee, hee
    just what we need to cheer us up.
    Looking forward to the next bit of the tale.
    Auntie Chris
    and the seven