converting website visitors weather - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

weather

MEGAN Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I have just had enough of this weather my poor hens are just wading in puddle. I took a mud ball of my poor rosecombe nearly as big as her foot yesterday there just seems to be no end to it. Just think last year at this time it was hot and sunny and we were about to be put on a hose pipe ban.
Please please let us have a decent summer this year the poor hens need it.

Comments

• monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I know it's foul isn't it? Our garden isn't to bad and the girls are staying in the covered run which is fairly dry, but it's just so cold and miserable. Here's hoping everyone manages to avoid the worst of the springtime snow! :eek:
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I feel ready to run to the hills. only I'm already in them. This weather would depress the life out of you. We are in for a few very bad days. The gales last night and today are shocking. Snow has drifted to 6 feet in places and we are well and truly blocked in and will be for some time.

Had to wade up this morning and bring all the hens into the garage again in a blizzard. Nora is in the kitchen as it's too much of a risk in case Gabriel escapes out there and gets to her. :eek:

It's a miracle the power has stayed on. We have nearly 800 sheep behind us in the hills all in the middle of lambing. Two years ago over a hundred adults were buried alive in snow just behind us and now there will be lambs. It's heartbreaking.

I'll have to go out now and bring the ducks in as well as their house is buried in snow. I really want to immigrate. My old bones can't take much more of this.

Keep warm everybody xxxx
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Sharon, it's the worst time for the snow, I hadn't thought about the lambing - won't the ewes have been brought down to the barns for lambing?

I'm sick of it too, bought more turf today and it's still sitting in the car because it was raining when we got home.... so, so cold today. Worming the hens again because I saw one today... not that long since they were last done, but the mud is to blame.... now have to start the full on worming programme again.... and the top lawn is almost completely gone now. Never, never has it been like this. I feel so sorry for the farmers trying to keep going through it.
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I started worming again too today as I'm trying to give chooks something to do by digging over bits of the run...loads of worms - obviously good for my gardening but...:( I read OH some of these posts today...we are feeling bad at feeling sorry for ourselves and our 'puddles'...some of you have it really bad and we underestimate that, for which I apologise for some of my more flippant posts - I wish all of you with land and livestock the very best through these tough times!:) M
    edited March 2013
    Sharon, poor you my thoughts are with you and all those up north in particular. I think we are lucky, it's cold and damp but not so bad. Stay safe all
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Oh Sharon thats awful. I know the farmer near us let his lambs out the other week and the next night the snow came here. Two found dead the next morning he had to take them all back in again the next morning. The problem is we just did not have a summer last year so the winter and summer just blend into one.
    My dog walking is just horrid I went out yesterday morning and decided to go across country you should have seen the state we came back.
    The clay soil around her just becomes a total mess that sucks you it ughhhh.
    I hope it cheers up for you all very soon. I think im getting SAD :( :( :(
    edited March 2013
    Well!!! What did I say about 'lucky the power didn't go off. Not long after it did just that and we have just finished two and a half days, which seemed like two weeks without any power, heat or water. Our water is from a spring which needs electric to pump it up so no power no water. Melting snow at 6 o'clock this morning to try and get enough water for the sheep with the gales still howling.

I think this has been the worse snow mixed with gales I have ever seen and I don't know when we are going to be able to leave the house. The snow has drifted to terrible heights and our entire lane which is a mile long is completely blocked the whole way by a minimum of 5 feet of snow reaching to 11 in places. The night time temperatures are still below freezing which means it will just turn solid and take longer to melt.

I think there has been quite a number of casualties among the poor sheep and lambs behind us and the farmer was out until dark last night trying to dig some out by hand. Unfortunately Jules these sheep never see the inside of a barn. They are hill sheep who are born and reared in the most remote areas and only leave the hills when they die or go for slaughter. The hardest life imaginable.

At the minute I'm just glad to have the power on, I'll never take it for granted again. xxx
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Oh Sharon thats awful. I have been seeing on the news that you have had real problems with no electricity. We are lucky here in comparison. They say there is no sign of a let up in the next few weeks so frustrating. Take care Sharon and I hope that the electricity keeps going for you.
    Little Est is having the worst bout of sour crop she has had in the last year and is giving me a worrying time. Two vomits yesterday and one today and she is still pretty full. Thanks to Jules I have some meds to treat her so keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow morning. She is a tough cookie so im hopeful I cant loose her as well as Tweedle.
  • elvie Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Well, I haven't seen so much snow and icicles for years. Nottingham has been pretty badly hit and the wind today has been horrid.

However, I don;t know about you but my hens have got me well trained...

They have breakfast in bed every morning when the weather is so bad. They insist they do not come out of their coop until I worry so much that they are not getting their food and water so I move all their drinkers and feeds into their coops. It does mean shuffling the perches and nest boxes around to fit everything in but they are very determined that this is what they want!!

But they do thank me for it! My little pekins gave me lovely eggs this morning so I was quite surprised that although they stay indoors they are still laying!

Meanwhile, my incubator room has had some mods done today to try and insulate the brooder...Hubby has put some insulation on the floor and raised the brooder up quite a bit. Temperature now reads 28 degrees and is steadily increasing. A shame because I was hoping that maybe he would say, Ok bring the little ones inside...

I will watch closely and probably end up sitting up all night to make sure they don;t get cold. Oh and by the way, I have set up a camera to hopefully take a video of the big day which is this Thursday!! Fingers crossed!!

Roll on Spring and some warmer weather please!!

Love Elvie xxx
    edited March 2013
    Thank goodness you have power back Sharon. If only there was an end to the cold soon but the last weather forecast I saw showed Siberian winds being pushed down to us. Grim to hear about your neighbour... it's one thing after another, farmers could do with a break... a summer would help..
    Megan, fingers crossed... do you have enough?
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I do have plenty of tablets. They are out of date now as she has been so good up to press that I had no need to use them. Im sure they will be still effective though. I will see how she is this morning.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Sharon - it does sound very harsh there:eek:

I am oh so glad of the greenhouse given to me by my neighbour. The chickens have taken it over for the duration and even have a lovely bed of straw to settle in. Now I wonder where that came from;)
    I too am well-trained to deliver regular food and water rations:D
    edited March 2013
    Mine took over the greenhouse last winter..... they loved it, but the dust they raised from their baths covered all the overwintering plants so I had to ban them :(
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Little Est much improved this morning thank goodness did not fancy doing the vomit thing again. Even though Iv done it lots with her each time I worry I am going to choke her.
    Another half a tablet and fingers crossed she will be completely empty tomorrow
    edited March 2013
    That's great news Megan. That wee girl certainly likes to keep you on you toes. :D
    xxx
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Jules - my overwintering plants perished in this siberian weather!
    edited March 2013
    Oh Sharon, poor you, how dreadful. How sad for those poor sheep and their lambs to suffer so much on the hillsides. Hope you have warmed up and enjoying the power!

Megan, that naughty little Est really keeps you on your toes doesn't she? Hope she is better.

I feel I have had it easy, yes it's been cold but we have had about 2" of snow so nothing compared to your snow Sharon!

Stay safe and take care, Elvie happy hatching xx
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Such a mix of good and bad stories :) :confused: Mine seem happyish in the morning and get more grumpy afternoon, I think that's cos the ground is frozen when we let them out at 6am and then becomes a mudbath during the day as it thaws...On a positive note, I shut them all in the inner run for a while today while I sprinkled liberal amounts of Stalosan F everywhere else...they all get on well now considering the nightmare I had pre integration...small mercies!

10 batts = 1 happy family...I wouldn't have believed that of mine not so long ago!;)

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Laying hens - 5m Books