We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Non Crowing Black Pekin Cock

TredderTredder Junior Member
Hi,

I have a black pekin cockerel that doesn't crow, it doesn't mate with the other pekin hens either.

We had two cocks hatch from an incubator and one was reared by myself along with 2 hens, and the other went under a broody hen prior to hatching.

When they all went in together, at about 2 months, the hand reared cock (millefleur) used to bully the black cock rather badly, and as they got older, it became more brutal.

Anyway, they eventually got on, and the Millefleur cock was crowing after 3 months and went on to attempt to mate with the hens, in the end, i got shot of him, as the crowing was extreme and he was too violent, i was then left with 10 hens, or what i thought was 10 hens, but the black one is definitely a cock, yet he doesn't crow or mate, he was a bit of a loner but now the cock has gone, he does integrate with the others, he is a March 2012 pekin.

The question is, have i got the ultimate cockerel, stunning looking yet doesn;t crow, or am i just counting down the clock until he decides to become a man?

Sorry for the long story, but thought i'd add in all the possibilities.