converting website visitors Lifespan? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Lifespan?

Sparks1 Junior Member
edited January 2013 in Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts
I'm quite taken with the idea of adding a couple of dark egg layers to the 2 hybrids I already have. Do any of you know the 'average' lifespan of Marans or Welsummers? I only have limited space and hubby wont be impressed if its all taken with 'retired' girls rather than 'working' ones! They are my pets, so wont be bumped off once their laying days are over!

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    The omlet website has some really good info about breeds and egg lifespans.

Here is a link:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/welsummer/
  • Sparks1 Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    Thanks - its looking like Marans may be the type to go for if they're generally the friendlier of the two...as I said, they're definitely pets but need to provide a weekend fry-up as OH took a lot of pursuading...
    edited October 2012
    Have you considered exbats? Not for the faint-hearted because they don't live very long at all, but despite the fact that the farms "dispose" of them after about 15 months, they still produce 5 or 6 eggs per week in the Summer, and they don't slow down much in the first winter. Basically they keep laying until they get a problem with EYP or cancer (or both), then they will go downhill quite quickly, at which stage you can trust your freindly forum to help out:)

But be warned - they can be addictive:D
  • Sparks1 Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    Ex-bats do come to mind from time to time (also have a friend thinking of taking the plunge...) but they do seem a bit scary healthwise - I'm very much a novice and haven't had to deal with too much yet..... maybe one day...
    edited October 2012
    Well since you already have a couple of hybrids you are not a complete novice:)
    Also - your partner may be won over by the personalities of exbats:D
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Yes, there is no denying that exbatts can have health issues, though normally not straight away..... Do bear them in mind as a possibility. They are certainly the friendliest, most inquisitive and courageous hens I have owned. There is something different about them. And don't forget that you get to see a tatty hen blossom into a beautiful bird that noone would think had ever been in a cage!
  • JamesFarmFood Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    14-16 months

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management<<<<<<< .merge_file_V391Zq=======>>>>>>> .merge_file_B36pBT