We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Araucana moult

Mary1Mary1 Junior Member
edited January 2013 in Pure Breeds and Enthusiasts
hi all

my little araucana hen is moulting very badly and is not laying as i expected im getting enough feathers outside the back door to make pillows. can someone give me some advice on what i could give her a pick me up?

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Hello !

Your hen will not lay for approximately 3 weeks before she starts moulting and at least another month whilst she is moulting. A good hen feed will have all the nutrients she needs but you might want to boost her protein and calcium levels to help her.

When she does finish her moult she will not lay many eggs during the short winter days. Egg production will start to increase gradually again after the shortest day (in December). I often start to get more eggs around Christmas - lovely pressie!

For protein: dig her some worms from the garden or use mealworms or scrambled egg.

Calcium: oystershell grit or baked eggshells. She may not readily take these off lay so you could try a little mild cheese but make sure she also gets Vitamin D to help absorb the calcium - cod liver oil is a good source. Alternatively you could use a supplement called "Zolcal" on her food (available from "Vetark" online).
  • Mary1Mary1 Junior Member
    edited October 2012
    thank you wasn't quite sure what to give her she looks a real sorry mess! :(
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    hi
    my araucana is moulting heavily too , in fact everyone apart from my warren seem to be having a bigger than usual moult this year .
    araucanas are fair weather layers so dont expect eggs again now til late spring ....but theyre worth the wait :)
  • LittlechickLittlechick Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I am making some scrambled egg for Cassie today. She has now lost her tail feathers and looks awful! Feathers sticking out of her at all angles!
  • JamesFarmFoodJamesFarmFood Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    I also use mealworms