Sleeping Chickens?

Farmer Ryan Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi everyone,
Is it normal for chickens to sleep outside during the day? One of my chickens died recently and she was constantly falling asleep due to a lack of energy. Is there anything I can give them? One now is acting like she did before she died and I saw another lying down and sleeping (she doesn't seem in any other way sick though).
Thanks for any help,
Ryan

Comments

• MEGAN Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    when they are sun bathing and such they can close their eyes for a while but if they are standing around a lot with eyes closed a lot it can be a sign they are very ill. o they have any other symptoms.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Have they been wormed with Flubenvet lately?
  • Farmer Ryan Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I usually worm at the start of every month but I didn't this month because I was told not to when one of my chickens got sick so I thought I shouldn't. If I should I will but I don't have Flubenvet.
    Also it's not sunny enough here today for sunbathing, she was just closing her eyes (mostly lying down but sometimes standing).
    As for other symptoms, the hen who is mostly sleeping had a pale comb which does seem to be getting brighter. No other symptoms though :(
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Mine are very fond of their afternoon naps but I find a big difference in them sprawled out contentedly rather than standing in a miserable huddled heap with their eyes closed...you will know instinctively if something is wrong - have you noticed anything else? I also notice mine sleep more when the weather is dull and boring...:) M
    edited June 2012
    Thanks M it's good to hear that :) Compared to my sick chicken that died, this one isn't really falling asleep standing (though I have caught her at it once :( ) and she is near the top of the pecking order still. I just jumped to the conclusion that she was the same as my hen that died; hopefully I was wrong :)
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    have you checked for red mite that would make your hen have a pale comb.
    edited June 2012
    I will do you tonight but I read that red mite causes reluctance in going to bed which I don't have with my hens :confused: :)
    edited June 2012
    I did a check and red mite free :) What could be wrong :confused: I just hope it's not contagious...
    I heard garlic is a good boost, would anyone agree/ disagree?
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    edited June 2012
    Garlic's good - we always have a clove in their water. Any chance of an egg problem - aspirin, calcium and a nice warm bath will help shift anything?? although you should have noticed deterioration by now if that was the problem. Have you noticed anything else? Crop, poo, eating, drinking...?M
    edited June 2012
    Thanks M I'll give them a clove in their water :) Well actually I haven't been getting eggs from her but I think that's due to her not being well, not the other way round :confused: No, no other symptoms though
    edited June 2012
    Here are pics of healthy and unhealthy Butters- all taken within the last few weeks. Not a sudden turn, she just sometimes looks better than other days :)
    P.S. She has always had a droopy, beret-looking comb! :D
  • Barley Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    sorry, just got a load of funny writing ???
    Lin x x
    edited June 2012
    Oh no - I got blank white screen...have another go Farmer Ryan!;) M
    edited June 2012
    :o My pictures never seem to work :) I couldn't give them the clove today because their waterer is leaking (they're having to use a bucket today). What's the best way to give garlic? :)
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    edited June 2012
    I use powdered garlic in their feed but some people put a crushed clove in the water.

Just going back to the egg related issues - a hen could have EYP or similar for some time before we notice it making her ill. One of my ex bats has had sterile peritonitis for a year now and most people wouldn't even notice her struggling, but it shows up particularly when she is at rest as you can see what an effort it is for her to breathe. Some hybrids also develop cancer/tumours in the ovaries which prevent eggs getting through.

If you have checked her crop and poos for problems then you may need to consider EYP as a probability.
    edited June 2012
    Hello everyone again,

I have noticed that she has yellow poo and my last poorly hen had green/yellow poo. I hear a little red wine is good for them- is this true??? :confused:

I really want to ghet her better without visiting an expensive and far away vet :(

Thanks for any help,

Ryan :)
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't advise giving alcohol to any birds but what I would do is send a faecal sample to be tested - I have a pooled sample tested at least once a year to check worm counts etc and my vet charges me £7.50. There are also reputable firms who could do this by post, such as The Chicken Vet or Retford Poultry. I have used The Chicken Vet in the past and the cost of a faecal test is around £20 inlcuding the sample kit. They phoned me up the same day they received the sample to let me know the result, and also sent me a letter to confirm.

http://chickenvet.co.uk/shop/view/index.aspx/product/faeces-sampling-67
  • mollydolly Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    mine do a fair amount of sleeping, especially when it is raining!! I notice them because they all shelter just outside my back door under cover.
    I have a very old hen who spends a lot of time standing around with her eyes closed or sitting on my door mat.

If you have had a hen die I would be tempted to give the whole flock a boost with some herban or something in their water? just in case there is a low lying infection in your flock.
    I would also check and re treat for all extras!!! red mite, lice....in fact I find a lice infestation the best tool for diagnosing poor health....healthy birds just don't seem to get them badly while the old or sick ones get a total infestation over night.
    edited June 2012
    I've just returned from a week holiday and found her worse that she was. She fell over like Bunce (my hen who died) did :eek: . I've given her herbs in water, garlic water and food. I don't think she'll live til tomorrow and if she doesn't I want to get a post mortem (spelling?) even if it's expensive.
    edited June 2012
    Poor Butters died today :( I really want to get a post mortem seeing as she had the same symptoms as Bunce did.
    edited June 2012
    I'm so sorry to hear that about Butters - it's great I think that you want a PM done...please share the results so we can all learn amd Butters and Bunce can hopefully save other hens:confused: M
    edited June 2012
    Okay thanks I will do :)
    edited June 2012
    I phoned the local vets who said they don't do post mortems on chickens :( I would have had to go two hour's away to a lab but my parents were working so I couldn't go :( They're closed at weekends too.....
    edited June 2012
    That's OK Farmer Ryan...we all have our own lives, restrictions on time and money and the like...but we all love our chooks - just learn what you can from each experience - you seem like such a caring chook owner and you're doing great...keep in touch with the forum - I learn something new every time I log on here:cool: !:) M
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    so sorry butters didnt make it but i bet she had a lovely time with you looking after her.
    as youve now lost 2 should any others start showing similar symptoms best get to a vet with them as early as possible
    what do you feed them and do you add vitamins to their diet?apple cider vinegar is brilliant for their digestive system, poultry spice sprinkled on their food keeps laying hens in top condition and you can get vitamin supplements or give them rice krispies or corn flakes- both have plenty of added vitamins.
    hope things settle down for you now...enjoy your chooks
    xxkath
    edited June 2012
    Thanks kath :)
    None of the others show any of the symptoms so I'm not too worried but I'll give them boosts anyway- thanks for the advice :)
    I feed them layers pellets, corn, some veg and oyster shell but I need to give the shell more often.
    I hope everything goes well too and I want to get their run concreted this year because its muddy and I fear this doesn't help much either as coccidiosis forms in dirty puddles I think.
    Thanks again,
    Ryan :)
    edited July 2012
    My big Orpington Meredith has fallen ill with the same symptoms and I just got back from holiday yesterday :( She is drinking immune boosters and garlic in water and I'm off to the vet with her now :D Fingers crossed they can help her
    edited July 2012
    The vet gave her antibiotics and multivitamin but couldn't say what's wrong with her :)
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I hope you get meridith sorted it. When my hens are off colour I gave them poultry nutri drops which gives them a boost of energy to help fight the illness. I hope she picks up soon.
    edited July 2012
    I've seen antibiotics work miracles on my Helen - hope it's the same for you and Meredith!:) M