We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Why would my duck start to lay now?

KleonaptraKleonaptra Junior Member
Hi all,
Some time ago I posted on a newly hatched duckling which Im pleased to announce is doing well despite angel wing, which I am wrapping with vetwrap.

This brings my total of ducks to 3 - my 10yr old female, 4yr old drake and approx 2 month duckling.

In 10 years my female has never laid an egg. Her and the drake do some lovely mating dances but after this much time I assumed she was infertile. They live in a large day pen with a pond and are locked up at night. I was changing the pond water this morning and must have crushed the egg by accident. There was no blood but quite a lot of thick white around the yolk so Im not sure if it was fertile or not. Needless to say Im going to rev up the incubator and start checking her pen VERY carefully! But Id like to hear any ideas on WHY she might have started now?

I am absolutely sure of her age - I rescued her as a duckling only a few days old in april of 2002. She's been through the wars - lost a wing to predators, survived 3 surgeries and a fungal infection to become our one-winged-wonder duck. All three are Australian Pacific Black ducks, very similar to Mallards.

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Hi there!

I know very little about ducks but if you re-post this question under "Health & Welfare" someone may be able to help you:)
  • KleonaptraKleonaptra Junior Member
    edited February 2012
    solarbats wrote:
    Hi there!

I know very little about ducks but if you re-post this question under "Health & Welfare" someone may be able to help you:)

Thanks Solarbats...I do recall that you were my first reply last time as well, thankyou.
  • protein25protein25 Junior Member
    edited March 2012