converting website visitors Poorly chicken, please any help - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Poorly chicken, please any help

GemmaH Junior Member
edited December 2013 in Producers and Vets
I'am new to keeping chickens and have 10 ex battery hens. I have had them now since september and all has been fine, although 2 days ago one of my girls seemed really poorly.
She is all puffed up, tail down and has lost weight. I read some advise about the possibility of her being egg bound and investigated (gently) she was very mucky around her rear end and her croup feels like its full of fluid, but i dont think i could feel an egg?
As the temperature has dropped recently I warmed her up yesterday, cleaned her rear end and she drank some water i had put down which had apple cider vinegar in, she seemed to perk up and ate some feed afterwards which was encouraging, but today she seems worse, and when i picked her up and brought her inside to warm up, what seemed like alot of water came out of her mouth. This has now happened twice and iam now very concerned about her. All other chickens seem fine and are as perky as ever...

Any advise would be great!!!

Comments

• 3jojo4 Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Gemma
    It sounds like she may be suffering from sour crop, there may be an impaction- does she free range ( maybe had access to long grass)? I haven't had any personal experience but suggest you post on poultry health and welfare. You'll get loads of practical advice on there. There have been many posts on sour crop, so you could search the forum. I do know that many make their hens sick to get all the crud up. If it's impacted I think there are a few remedies you could try.
    Sorry the response is a bit vague, but hope it helps.
    Good luck, jo x
  • smusherbull Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    GemmaH said:
    I'am new to keeping chickens and have 10 ex battery hens. I have had them now since september and all has been fine, although 2 days ago one of my girls seemed really poorly.
    She is all puffed up, tail down and has lost weight. I read some advise about the possibility of her being egg bound and investigated (gently) she was very mucky around her rear end and her croup feels like its full of fluid, but i dont think i could feel an egg?
    As the temperature has dropped recently I warmed her up yesterday, cleaned her rear end and she drank some water i had put down which had apple cider vinegar in, she seemed to perk up and ate some feed afterwards which was encouraging, but today she seems worse, and when i picked her up and brought her inside to warm up, what seemed like alot of water came out of her mouth. This has now happened twice and iam now very concerned about her. All other chickens seem fine and are as perky as ever...

Any advise would be great!!!
    Hello Gemma, is she with fever? I had a hen in same situation and I never defined what happened to her but I treated her first with something for fever, day by day she got better and now she is great... check it up.

I hope my advice help.
    Andres
  • DrZaibullahKhan Junior Member
    edited November 2013
    Dear GemmaH
    Do you still remember your birds after the passage of almost two years?
    Do you still rearing birds?
    Zaib
  • tnoahlessard Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    sounds like sour crop, I have treated it very successfully with copper sulfate in small doses in the drinking water. It is a yeast infection in the crop. It is caused by some sort of blockage, mine have always been from a food impaction in the crop. If you can clear up the sour crop you will probably still need to treat the impaction. I have had good luck with mineral oil suringed in the beak. Others use olive oil. Post this on the pultry health and welfare forum if you want some expert advice.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    This is a very old thread - hopefully this hen is better by now!:eek:

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management