converting website visitors hoping to sell some eggs-advice! - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

hoping to sell some eggs-advice!

sophie smith Senior Member
edited April 2015 in Producers and Vets
Hey everyone from a new forum user! Was wondering if you could all impart some knowledge into my novice mind.

I love hen's and tending to our 4 gives me much pleasure, they are first and formost pets (hate that word!) and a hobby. However, since going from 2 to 4 we are getting rather alot more eggs and were thinking about taking some into work, local shops (live in a small village) etc, and selling them for £1 for six. I have bought some egg cartons off ebay for a very reasonable price and made some attractive labels which state the eggs are free range, how to store, when to use by etc. Now some advice from experts!

1. is that price about right, per six eggs?
2. have you had success selling eggs like this in a small scale way?
3. should we be successful and find the process enjoyable for us, and the hens are happy and well looked after and we think of expanding to more hens, how many is a reasonable amount to look after? Difficult question, I think I mean what kind of numbers become challenging to look after, cramped etc. We have a long thin garden of an average size but can not devote entire garden to roaming as the dog also needs to use the garden.

and finally...please any other advice would be very welcome!

Thankyou
Sophie

Comments

• Hen Pecked Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    I sell my eggs depending on size (weight) and have accurate scales to weigh them before I box them. My prices start at £1.20 for medium and go to £1.80 for XL (per dozen). I always sell out if I put my sign out and find that this price is on a par with other locally.
    I always date mark the box and label to say size of eggs and their info on feed etc.
    You shouldn't really re-use boxes brought into you but you have new ones so that shouldn't be a problem.
    You shouldn't wash eggs if dirty just wipe them and I believe there is a commercial cleaner available but I don't use it.
    Never sell eggs when treating with Anti b's.
    Personally the sale of eggs gives my girls 'pocket money' it does not pay for them and I have 18 girls.
    I hope this helps and welcome to the world of Free Range egg selling :)
  • sophie smith Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Hi! thanks for your advice!
    We too are hoping that it will give us a little pocket money to go towards feed, new hens, modifications to their area etc, we understand that we probably won't break even or profit. Hadn't thought about size of eggs, will bear that in mind if people seem happy to pay more than £1 per dozen. Also hadn't realised about not washing eggs, so thanks for that.

And congratulations too, for being a successful free range egg seller!

-Sophie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    Hi Sophie

I don't sell my eggs but thought you might want to consider when and how to bring in new hens. Say you get 12 hens now - in a couple of years you will have hardly any eggs in winter and most hens off lay moulting at the same time. Personally I would get two or three new hens in every six to eight months. That way you are almost always guaranteed some eggs all year round.
    Also - consider what you will do when your hens get too old to lay. Unless you are planning to cull them you could end up with quite a few "unproductive" hens (most of us on the forum call them "retired":o ), and no room for more youngsters.

You are right to think carefully about the number of hens for your garden. If they become overcrowded they are much more prone to disease and all your egg money may well be spent at the vets:eek:

Obviously you still need to keep enough space for new hens to be kept separate until they are accepted - there is loads of advice on here about that!

Hope this long-winded post helps:p
    edited November 2011
    Hi solar, that sounds like really good advice, hadn't really thought about them stopping laying during moulting and winter, so thankyou. When you say about keeping them seperate until they are accepted, what do you mean?

-Sophie
    edited November 2011
    Hi solar, that sounds like really good advice, hadn't really thought about them stopping laying during moulting and winter, so thankyou. When you say about keeping them seperate until they are accepted, what do you mean?

-Sophie
  • MEGAN Senior Member
    edited November 2011
    when you get new hens the general advise is not to mix them with your original hens for a couple of weeks to make sure they are not bringing in any disease. Also a good way of getting them intregrated without too many problems is to let them see each other for a while but not be able to get too each other. So say put another run along side your present one so they can see but not hurt each other. Alternatively if you have a large run you could split it in two. You will be surprised how horrid hens can be to each other when they first meet
  • Jamie23 Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    Hen Pecked said:
    I sell my eggs depending on size (weight) and have accurate scales to weigh them before I box them. My prices start at �1.20 for medium and go to �1.80 for XL (per dozen). I always sell out if I put my sign out and find that this price is on a par with other locally.
    I always date mark the box and label to say size of eggs and their info on feed etc.
    You shouldn't really re-use boxes brought into you but you have new ones so that shouldn't be a problem.
    You shouldn't wash eggs if dirty just wipe them and I believe there is a commercial cleaner available but I don't use it.
    Never sell eggs when treating with Anti b's.
    Personally the sale of eggs gives my girls 'pocket money' it does not pay for them and I have 18 girls.
    I hope this helps and welcome to the world of Free Range egg selling :)
    Thanks for your advice dude.It will be very helpful for me

Mowing Gold Coast
  • DrZaibullahKhan Junior Member
    edited November 2013
    Dear Sophie
    As a senior and experienced member now you should switched on into commercial layer farming/egg production.it will increase your income.
    Kindest Regards
    Zaib
  • vee Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi,
    This is Vee from Anping county Xinhai wire mesh company which is in China. We are a factory with export.
    We can offer the metal mesh layer chicken cage.
    Details please contact me.

Welcome to inquiry, if there have any question about the chicken cage.
    My office email: [email]vee@metal-fence.com[/email]
    personal email: [email]ivmeshmachine@foxmail.com[/email]

Thanks for your time and regards,
    Vee
    whats app: 0086 15028772103
  • vee Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi, :D
    This is Vee from Anping county Xinhai wire mesh company which is in China. We are a factory with export.

Vee
    whats app: 0086 15028772103 :p
  • vee Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi, :p

Vee
    whats app: 0086 15028772103

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management