help! sour crop - has anyone used ketoconazole?

papizza Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi all,

Discovered one of my new ex-batts has sour crop this morning. Spotted her shaking her head in the telltale manner, so "vomited" her and a load of gunge came up. Not sure how long she's been like this as I've been away, and my partner was in charge. She was looking slightly under the weather before I left, but discovered she had a bad case of lice, so treated that, assuming it was the problem. Another hen died before I left from a blocked crop (died while having the blockage cleared at the vet), so wondering if the sour crop in this case is due to a blockage. Anyway, have just spoken to my vet, he says he has never had much luck with ketoconazole, but to give it a go, and he'll give her Nystatin if it doesn't work. I'm happy to get the Nystatin now, but he thinks I should try the ketoconazole first. Does anyone have any experience of this drug, and its effectiveness in treating sour crop? She's still shaking her head, but I can't get anything up when I try to vomit her again. Should I just give her the meds, and leave her for today to see how she goes?
P x

Comments

• pottymoo Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    i had nystatin for babs I would be tempted to go with that as I know it works. My babs has sour crop for a bit I think before i realised as she wasn't showing signs of illness until her crop was big. she's fine now she had 2ml a day of nystain for 2 weeks and tylan soluable in her water moo x
  • papizza Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    and does anyone know how long to continue treatment? i intend to give 50mg per day, and have found article on internet suggesting 21 day treatment at this dosage. sigh...!
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Found this in a search

ketoconazole, for systemic fungal infections including aspergillosis, candidiasis, may cause regurgitation, also may cause adrenal gland suppression, so can be dangerous for use in stressed birds, safer antifungal is available for treating candidiasis (fluconazole)
    didn't find dosage , but ask your vet?
    Haven't tried the fluconazole, just about to googal taht now!!
    Nystatin works well tho...five day treatment at 0.8ml a day in one dose.
    good luck
    l
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    The Fluconzole is the stuff used for humans when we have thrush in that one off tablet called Diflucan out of interest...Nystatin is an antibacterial as well as a antifungal...
    L:)
  • papizza Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for all your advice. Useful to know about the counter-indications on this drug, so that was great. Pottymoo, how long did it take for Babs to stop showing symptoms? Gave the ketoconazole last night with some orange juice, but she was still shaking head this morning. Had to vomit her again as she looked so uncomfortable, and a good bit of that stinky stuff came up. Then she obviously felt much better as she started tucking into her bowl of yoghurt.

Would need to contact the vet this morning to have a chance of getting Nystatin before Monday.
  • battwoman Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    you could try daktarin oral gell that you can buy from the chemist, i used it on one of mine after a blocked crop and never got sour crop after reading up on it on the net where some people seem to have had sucsess with it.
    fi x
  • papizza Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    I tried Daktarin on the last hen I had with sour crop, in addition to Ketoconazole and yoghurt. Unfortunately, she still didn't make it. The vet has now prescribed Nystatin which I can pick up on Monday. He said to carry on with the Ketoconazole until then. I feel so sorry for her as she's just out of the battery, and was settling in really well and enjoying her freedom.
  • Lilygirl509 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    I thought I'd post this:
    Here's a website about impacted crop and sour crop.it is a very good website to check :)
    http://www.greenmuze.com/blogs/green-muzings/2208-chicken-impacted-crop-or-sour-crop.html

xLily
  • Ketoconazole is one of the best remedies for fungus treatment, but I’m not sure that it will work for chickens.

Sour crop has two forms and the treatment for each form is different. You can tell which by smelling her breath. If it is yeasty bready smell then its a fungal form. That sometimes requires a fungicide called Nilstat which is available over the counter from pharmacists.

If its foul rotten meat smell then its bacterial and may need prescription antibiotics from a vet. Other the counter antibiotics are not going to fix it so dont try.