converting website visitors Question - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Question

livininlogs Junior Member
edited August 2013 in "Off Your Chest"
I have 4 hens 3 are americana type birds the other a black hen of some kind. All produce brown medium to large eggs. I have gotten all my hens from the local shelter city don't allow birds to roam free lol. Well I got a call about a new bird and went to get what looked like a young hen black with kind of a blue hue to the feathers. Well I get her home and find spurs when I take her out lol. No matter at least it is someplace it can run around. I put him in a small coop and medicate for a few days just to make sure then put him in the pen with the others. About 2 weeks after I got her I went out to feed and get eggs and found my regular girls product and one small white egg. My question how common is it to have a hen with spurs? I have never had any eggs like this. The bird looks to be a game type bird lean and thin. I have gotten several more since

Comments

• Lilygirl509 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Well if they are short spurs I don't think it's a boy and I think it's pretty common-not sure I'm no expert!
  • mollydolly Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    There are lots of different types of chickens, I used to have a cream legbar with one spur, she started to lay tiny eggs and then stopped within weeks. I suspect she had a damaged ovary. When they switch to the other ovary it can cause a burst of testosterone causing male characteristics. I didn't get to see if she started to lay again because a fox took her.

maybe someone out there with more game like hens that might know of some with spurs.
  • bacati55 Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi

I am also looking forward to you with the same question as there are many breeds in the market and without having a look or information nobody can answer this in a right way.
    Kindly put a picture if you can.

Thanks
    Bacati
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Randy perhaps if you didn't paste an advertising link in your post you would get a response. We aren't interested in spam on here

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management