converting website visitors Does anyone know what breed of chicken do I have? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Does anyone know what breed of chicken do I have?

chickensRcool Member
edited December 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
I am just wondering what breed of chicken do I have. I know almost all of my chicken's breed, but am just really stuck on him/her. Oh and I also don't know if he/she is a hen of rooster so please tell me what you think. The picture I have posted was back in the summer. Now he/she has a slightly larger comb and wattle. He/she does not really fight that much, but used to be dominent torwards food. He/she looks like a hen, but used to get in to small fights. Doesn't have spurs like a rooster. He/she grew so much more after the picture was taken. I hope you can help me.

Comments

• hollyJK Member
    edited December 2010
    looks like a hen there to me, but young so by the sounds of it, it could be a rooster! by the colours on the chest it almost looks like a cuckoo maran colour with a bit of someting else as the body looks a solid colour, or a silver sussex cross, hope this helps
    JK
  • chickensRcool Member
    edited December 2010
    in the picture he was very young and looked like a hen, but now he looks a lot more like a rooster. anyways, thanks so much! i think he acually does look a little like a silver sussex and a cuckoo maran! i was thinking maby he could be mixes with a black star and white rock or even a barred rock and black rock. any more ideas?
  • olliedacey Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    thats a pekin !!!
  • olliedacey Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    pekin bantam cockerel
  • chickensRcool Member
    edited February 2011
    thanks for your help!
    sorry if i said she is a rooster. she looks a lot more like a hen than a rooster! anyways, i have never heard of a pekin before, but i will look it up.
    thank you!
  • Annschooks Member
    edited February 2011
    In the US, Pekins as far as I'm aware are not bred. The nearest equivalent is Bantam Cochin. There is a debate about wether a Pekin is a bantam Cochin or wether it is a separate breed. In the UK we only have L/F Cochins and no bantams.
  • battwoman Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    will you tell that to my bantam cochin!:D
    fi x
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    ollie can you check mine out too, you seem to know your hens there!
    they are on my you tube site under BaltiAngel (if you got the time)
    cheers
    L:)
  • chooky Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Can't see the whole chicken it could be many breeds I would think, You need a picture to show the whole chicken so they can say it is a roo or pullet or a jersy giant or a australorp (just picking breeds doesn't mean your chiken is what I have mentioned. I have a Austrlorp but in taking to people over the net I found it is similar to jesey giant and to tell what it is (it is 3 monthsold) the feet on the bottom if it is pink it is a australorp if yellow it is a jersey Giant it is a Australorp now this is why I picked these to.
    Hope it helps
    Rhayden
  • bonnie123horse Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    That looks like a pied ranger!
  • Lilygirl509 Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Andalusion maybe?I think andalusian crossed with a pekin. I think it has the face shape of an andalusion.I'm no chicken expert.that's just what I think.
  • Megathumb Junior Member
    edited December 2012
    I too have a Rooster which I would like to identify. (photo attached) He is 14mths old, can get quite cranky and protective of his girls.

If anyone is interested, I am also giving him away. He has given us many, many baby chicks. We are downsizing our roosters (we have 5 others) and he is the only one that is aggressive towards our two children at times. He was great when there were only two roosters, but now not so good.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help with his breed :)
    Cheers
  • Megathumb Junior Member
    edited December 2012
    I have a rooster that is 14mths old but I do not know what he is. (photo attached)

Hopefully you guys can help me.

Cheers :confused: :confused:

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management