converting website visitors Using a Greenhouse (frame) as a Walk in run? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Using a Greenhouse (frame) as a Walk in run?

sari Junior Member
edited November 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
I have a 1960's greenhouse with plate glass. I try growing things, but to be honest it's never a great success. I love green tomatoes, but can only eat so many.....I want a walk in run, and was thinking...If I take out the glass, and use the lovely weld mesh ( I think thats what it called, it's really thick metal mesh) that my Father in Law can get.. attached with cable ties, leave the glass roof on, shade with shade netting in the summer, use auboise, or hemcore on the floor......would that be ok?? Expert advice needed please!!

Ta loads x x Sari x x x

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I am absolutely no expert, but sounds good to me.

I have a brood pen that is an old rabbit hutch and a chick pen which is 4 sheep hurdles surrounded by chicken wire and old plastic fence and a piece of corrugated tin as roof.

My chick brood lamp is my sick lamb lamp with a lower wattage bulb.

Nothing wrong with double uses! Think of it as recycling.

DO make sure that there is good shade in the summer or extend the pen outside onto an area without glass and with shade.

Sandie
  • sari Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks...they are free ranging when I get in from school...I get in about 3.40, so they have a few hours.....I'm hoping to use hemcore, rapport, aubiose etc on the floor, its half paved so will fill the rest with some concrete, ...leave the staging in for a mulit level.....thanks for all the advice/comments...and any more will be welcome, also advice for features of a walk in run!!!!

Sarah x x x
  • sari Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    Thnaks doormouse, this is what I'm aiming for....a safe, easier to maintain but essentially healthy and happy place for the chooks to be. I have a 3m Eglu run, but it gets poopy really quickly. I moved it and cleaned it on Fri pm...and the nestbox and run is really poopy already ( changed the tray sunday too!)

Thanks for you input....I'll post piccies when I start on Sunday!

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management