We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

covatutto 16

pb632pb632 Junior Member
Hi, I have the covatutto 16 incubator (I think)! I was wondering if any body has any experience using this incubator? The instructions are absolute pants, it doesn't really tell you much about how to help controll humidity levels? And the thermometer is complete rubbish, also! But it was a cheaper option for me this particular incubator as I am a beginner and I don't wish to hatch large amounts of birds, I have purchased a digital thermometer and hygrometer for my incubator specifically designed for incubating eggs, I'm just waiting for it to come through the post, my incubator is set up now in a room where temperature rarley changes as door and windows are always closed in it. My main concern is the humidity levels? If anybody could shed some light on this situation for me it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Comments

• spodskispodski Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Hi,
    I have the same incubator and have had absolutely rubbish results with it.
    First time: 12 eggs from 2 different suppliers, temp 100C, water in centre well, water in both wells last 3 days, per instructions = 4 chicks (2 healthy, 2 crippled and had to be culled)
    Second attempt: 6 eggs, same conditions = 2 chicks (1 healthy, 1 lame and culled at 6 weeks) 2 died in shells so indicated high humidity.
    3rd attempt: 14 eggs, no water, 3 developing but switched light off to candle and forgot to turn back on!!!! Suspect eggs not good as others in a different incubator not fertile either.
    I calibrated it the 3rd time with a medical thermometer so the temp. was fine. I was advised by someone with lots of experience not to put water in until last day. 3rd time I used a hygrometer and the humidity was fine without water. The instructions for many incubators are written for american conditions so if in the UK you need to adjust.
    Good luck!!!!
    regards,
    Lynn
  • spodskispodski Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Having said all the above, just hatched 9 quail eggs for a friend with 100% success rate! No water till last day then 60% humidity!
    Hooray!!!!! Got some Derbyshire Redcap eggs to go in now, fingers crossed!:D
    Lynn
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited April 2012
    IVYHOBBY

Please remove your advertisements or your posts will be construed as advertising and removed.