converting website visitors chicken not laying eggs help - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

chicken not laying eggs help

abianddorachicken Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Poultry Health and Welfare
hi there ive not had my chickens long ive had them since april this year and they both layed eggs the day after i had set them up in the garden, now about 6 weeks ago dora stopped laying eggs, however she doesnt show any signes of egg bound, and i dont think shes broody, shes got a deep red wattle and her legs are not scaly she loves her food and has a good appitite, she doesnt seem stressed or anything and im a bit baffled. her droppings are a normal colour. i dont know how old my chickens are or even what type of breed they are but they are both very happy from what i can tell and are very friendly.

i hope ive given enough information if you could in anyway point me in the right direction that would be fantastic :)

abi and dora chicken

Comments

• Arkle Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Don't know what to suggest but I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you so I listen to replies with interest too.

Someone did tell me they often take a break in summer :confused:
  • abianddorachicken Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    ive never heard that i know they can stopp whe they go into moult but just seemed a bit early to what iv read up on but i am kinda glad to know there are other people having the same problems i am! are your chickens showing anything slightly differet to what ive listed?
    abi and dora chicken
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    If your bird is healthy and theres nothing missing in her diet , shes herself and the crop is working(empty in morning full at night), then theres no reason to worry. She may have "gone broody " without you noticing, come out of it again and is having a break. One of mine had a break nearly all spring,laid for a whil;e had a quick "broody spell" not sitting, just a few noises, then had another break and has just come bck into lay!. Oner of my others has not laid for a while , don't know how long as we have on and offs all the time.. and is just showing signs of coming back into lay now.
    Hens in the wlid, so to speak, will adjust their laying to how they are feeling and what the food is like and the weather, she may not have liked the change in the weather!! So that they do not streaa themselves too much. It is only artificial stimuli that keep hens laying at all times of year, and drugs that allow them to stress themselves out of normal behaviour. she will probably come back for a spell before a moult, or she may just go straight into her moult. Hope this clears up a few questions, Im sure others have their own tails!!
    all the best
    L:)
  • brodelisse Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    abianddorachicken said:
    hi there ive not had my chickens long ive had them since april this year and they both layed eggs the day after i had set them up in the garden, now about 6 weeks ago dora stopped laying eggs, however she doesnt show any signes of egg bound, and i dont think shes broody, shes got a deep red wattle and her legs are not scaly she loves her food and has a good appitite, she doesnt seem stressed or anything and im a bit baffled. her droppings are a normal colour. i dont know how old my chickens are or even what type of breed they are but they are both very happy from what i can tell and are very friendly.

i hope ive given enough information if you could in anyway point me in the right direction that would be fantastic :)

abi and dora chicken

are the birds stressed? what is the situation there in terms of environment

EARN DOLLARS while browsing the internet!!!
    ===========================================
    http://www.neobux.com/?rh=626C6F62636C616D
    edited August 2010
    brodelisse said:
    are the birds stressed? what is the situation there in terms of environment

EARN DOLLARS while browsing the internet!!!
    ===========================================
    http://www.neobux.com/?rh=626C6F62636C616D

i dont think the birds are stressed they arnt showing any typical signs of it tbh, abis laying and dora isnt. they are as free range as a possibly can get them in my garden they have a coop thats big enought for 4 chickens and thats only to keep them safe at night. i try to let them out as early as possible and they always get treats weather its dry mealworms or there biggest fancy is peanut butter they love it there tongues are out before they even get to it :). i do have foxes in the area but i dont think they could get into my garden but i never risk it other then that its cats and it seems if a cats in the garden they pritty much leave the chickens alone (some are even cheeky enought to sleep with the chickens when they go to bed before ive had chance to lock them away for the night-not that i encourage it but they have become quite friendly...)

abi and dora chicken :)
    edited August 2010
    BaltiAngel said:
    If your bird is healthy and theres nothing missing in her diet , shes herself and the crop is working(empty in morning full at night), then theres no reason to worry. She may have "gone broody " without you noticing, come out of it again and is having a break. One of mine had a break nearly all spring,laid for a whil;e had a quick "broody spell" not sitting, just a few noises, then had another break and has just come bck into lay!. Oner of my others has not laid for a while , don't know how long as we have on and offs all the time.. and is just showing signs of coming back into lay now.
    Hens in the wlid, so to speak, will adjust their laying to how they are feeling and what the food is like and the weather, she may not have liked the change in the weather!! So that they do not streaa themselves too much. It is only artificial stimuli that keep hens laying at all times of year, and drugs that allow them to stress themselves out of normal behaviour. she will probably come back for a spell before a moult, or she may just go straight into her moult. Hope this clears up a few questions, Im sure others have their own tails!!
    all the best

thank you this has been very helpful!! my main concern is that she was healthy and there wasnt any problems as i got abi and dora mainly as pets anyways :) eggs are just a bonus :) how do you mean showing signs of coming back in to lay? just so i know what to look out for in future reference?
    i think she maybe going into moult ive looked it up and i have found a few feathers in and around the coop

ive been and checked them over again this morning and everything looks finee! they got an extra treat this morning cause its a bit cold! warmed up food with live mealworms in (and a bit of poultry spice) and are thankfully tucking in while giving me the little greatful cluck they do every morning

• Arkle Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    are your chickens showing anything slightly differet to what ive listed?
    Not really. They laid almost everyday for the first few weeks.
    Then I think they went broody, and I haven't seen an egg for 6 weeks.
    Don't know when they'll start again.
  • spodski Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Overweight birds don't lay! Are you giving lots of treats? Maybe cut down on the treats, give her exercise by hanging treats up and making her jump for them and see if that works.
    Regards,
    Lynn
    edited August 2010
    abianddorachicken said:
    thank you this has been very helpful!! my main concern is that she was healthy and there wasnt any problems as i got abi and dora mainly as pets anyways :) eggs are just a bonus :) how do you mean showing signs of coming back in to lay? just so i know what to look out for in future reference?
    i think she maybe going into moult ive looked it up and i have found a few feathers in and around the coop

ive been and checked them over again this morning and everything looks finee! they got an extra treat this morning cause its a bit cold! warmed up food with live mealworms in (and a bit of poultry spice) and are thankfully tucking in while giving me the little greatful cluck they do every morning

Thats great news!

Coming back into lay: different and more frequent noises, a continuous and long lasting cluck that means they are looking for a nest box. Looking for a place to lay, rather than just "hanging out"..tending to get more active and bossy ... and also defending areas they weren't too bothered about before(from another hen).
    and if they went broody and then moulted as you may think with the feathers, they may not lay for another couple of weeks.
    On the other hand, are you sure they are not "laying away"..and finding a cosy hedge to lay under?!!!
    all the best
    edited August 2010
    spodski said:
    Overweight birds don't lay! Are you giving lots of treats? Maybe cut down on the treats, give her exercise by hanging treats up and making her jump for them and see if that works.
    Regards,
    Lynn

no they get them in moderations to be fair becuase ive heard they can go off there layers pellets so they sometimes get a treat every other day or once of twice a week dependant on what ive bought of them or what ive got left in the coubards

there veg they get everyday is in an old hanginbasket tied with string to a bracket just out of reach of the chickens they love it!! and they have to work for it too

thank you for the advise :)

abi and dora chicken
    edited August 2010
    BaltiAngel said:
    Thats great news!

Coming back into lay: different and more frequent noises, a continuous and long lasting cluck that means they are looking for a nest box. Looking for a place to lay, rather than just "hanging out"..tending to get more active and bossy ... and also defending areas they weren't too bothered about before(from another hen).
    and if they went broody and then moulted as you may think with the feathers, they may not lay for another couple of weeks.
    On the other hand, are you sure they are not "laying away"..and finding a cosy hedge to lay under?!!!
    all the best
    ive checked there not laying away and ive got pritty much every place covered i can thing about they would do it too, my main worry wast so much shes stopped laying but i wanted to make sure she was okk and that she wasnt egg bound or ill and as it doesnt seem to be bothering her i think i will just keep and eye on her and just let it run its course :) thankyou for the lookout signes of coming back in to lay!!! that is a REAL help though!

• asifa Junior Member
    edited August 2010
    First off,are you feeding your chickens Layer Crumbles? This helps to promote laying.
    Secondly, chickens need a minimum of 14hrs daylight to promote laying. I have seen people who keep lights in their hen houses on a timer to ensure that their birds get that minimum amount of light.
    Chickens as with humans only have a certain amount of eggs that they will lay in their lifetime so to use this light in the hen house method only ensures that it will shorten the time your hens will lay eggs.
    I figure that Mother Nature does this light thing for a reason so as to not shorten the length of egg laying in my birds and to not stress them out by pushing them to lay eggs that they would not lay on their own schedule I choose to not do this. My chickens are my hobby and not my living so I just gather what eggs my hens give me and I enjoy those eggs as they come.
    edited August 2010
    asifa said:
    First off,are you feeding your chickens Layer Crumbles? This helps to promote laying.
    Secondly, chickens need a minimum of 14hrs daylight to promote laying. I have seen people who keep lights in their hen houses on a timer to ensure that their birds get that minimum amount of light.
    Chickens as with humans only have a certain amount of eggs that they will lay in their lifetime so to use this light in the hen house method only ensures that it will shorten the time your hens will lay eggs.
    I figure that Mother Nature does this light thing for a reason so as to not shorten the length of egg laying in my birds and to not stress them out by pushing them to lay eggs that they would not lay on their own schedule I choose to not do this. My chickens are my hobby and not my living so I just gather what eggs my hens give me and I enjoy those eggs as they come.
    i am feeding my chickens layers pellets but i dont have a light in the coop at night. my chickens are my pets rather then a food source but its lovely when they leave me a present in the morning :)

my main concern was shes was poorly and id missed something, but from what everyone has said as long as shes eathing her food and is looking healthy there isnt too much to worry about and she will lay again when shes ready :) (my other chicken abi is still laying so i was worried about dora)

and even if she doesnt lay for what ever reason as long as shes happy im happy as they are most probably one of the best pet you can have and there personalitys are amazing who ever said chickens were dumb!!

edited August 2010
    Hey thats great, I hope that you continue to hve happy and healthy hens! Enjoy them they are such great pets and very clever like you said too!
    All the best

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management