converting website visitors Cider vinegar - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Cider vinegar

cerises Junior Member
edited July 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
Someone told me that cider vinegar can be beneficial to my chickens.....can you tell me how and why please?

Comments

• Littlechick Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Hi Cerises, ACV has natural antiseptic qualities. It is apparently good for the hens digestive system, helping to keep a healthy balance. Get it from a good feed store though, not the supermarket and I have been told that the cloudy one is better (don't get processed ACV). A little added to the water helps to keep the water clean as well. Don't use in galvanised drinkers!
  • cerises Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    can you tell me please how much i should add to the water and how often. i just thought that it might be good to do it while my chucks are happy...is this the right idea. thanks for your help.
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Flytes of Fancy website suggest 10ml per litre (2 teaspoons).
    I have a 2.5 litre drinker which I don't fill all the way and I don't bother to measure the ACV. I just put a quick glug in and I don't think it would be as much as 10 ml per litre. Other people add it to the mash I think, but I use galvanised feeding dishes so wouldn't want to do that. I like the way the ACV helps to keep the water in the drinker fresh (but still change it each day).

One of my girls seems prone to sour crop (hoping it's not a kidney problem) as she gets up in the morning sometimes and drinks and drinks until her crop is swollen..... Hopefully the ACV will have a beneficial effect.
  • cerises Junior Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Littlechick......I hope your chook heals soon. I appreciate your help as I am pretty new to this, but am really enjoying......I started my girls on AVC today, and will give it for a week, and then revert to water for three. Take care

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management