converting website visitors Feeding chooks not on grass - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Feeding chooks not on grass

cerises Junior Member
edited June 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
When your chooks are not on grass, do you just feed them pellets and corn? We have a large field, and move our house and run around quite often, so our girls have greenery to feed on most of the time. Is this ok do you think? Can they have too much grass and weeds to eat? Our girls seem happy enough and are laying pretty well, so I have no complaints, but am always happy to learn tips to keep them healthy and happy. Glad to receive tips as a newbie. Thanks all.

Comments

• Littlechick Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    cerises said:
    When your chooks are not on grass, do you just feed them pellets and corn? We have a large field, and move our house and run around quite often, so our girls have greenery to feed on most of the time. Is this ok do you think? Can they have too much grass and weeds to eat? Our girls seem happy enough and are laying pretty well, so I have no complaints, but am always happy to learn tips to keep them healthy and happy. Glad to receive tips as a newbie. Thanks all.
    Hi! Don't think they can have too much grass, as long as it isn't long grass (causes crop impaction). Mine have the run of a large grassy area and they are quite sensible about balancing their food - mash, corn, slugs etc (but give them pasta/rice/soaked bread and their diet goes out the window!