brahmas 2 weeks old

undautriundautri Senior Member
Nag nag nag!!!!!!
The more i google for pics of Brahmas the more confused i'm getting!
i thought gold and partridge were different but searches reveal that gold are in fact gold partridge. have i got this right?
Anyway, the chicks are now 2 weeks old. they seem to be feathering at the same speed so i think i can safely say they are the same sex?
they've got different markings but all feathers are coming through patterned . they've got wing, shoulder, leg and tail feathers all through at an earlier date then i remember my faverolles
Heres photos-

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Gold Partridge is also known as Gold Brahma, whereas Blue Partridge is usually called 'Blue Partridge' and not abbreviated. Blue and Gold are genetically linked and crossing two Blue Partridges will give chicks in the ratios of 25% Gold, 50% Blue Partridge and 25% Red Pyle.

Gold X Gold will result only in Gold.

Gold Brahma chicks take a long time to feather differentiate with the boys lagging a while behind the girls usually.

It may be some weeks until you will be sure, but chick 2 looks like a cockerel and chick 4 a pullet......BUT....Brahmas chicks feathers change a lot during maturation and guessing as yet is probably not very helpful.

Dark Brahmas are easy to feather sex,

sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for replying.
    There's only 2 chicks- chick 1 is in pictures 1,3 and 4. chick 2 is in pics 2,3 and 5.
    I guess ill have to keep nagging you:D
    See you next week....same place....same time!
    edited June 2010
    So I have probably contradicted myself already.......well, that's Brahmas for you!
    My 5 week old babies are still puzzling me apart from the Darks.
    i hope you have pullets, but the Gold Brahma cock is a magnificent creature...huge, docile and VERY handsome!

I look forward to the next pictures,

Sandie
  • BaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Hey you've stolen my chick! That one in the first picture looks sooo much like my ;little Brinjal Bhaji! And her mum looks similar to the surrogate mum for Jalfrezi's chick. Explanation: Nutmeg half ish Brahma brooded Jalfrezi egg for her as Nutmeg's eggs are much smaller than Jal's and we sell them... Those chicks look about the same age as mine, born about week and a half ago. But they grow so quick! Anyway I'm hoping for a little hen to replace Maisie who died suddenly three days ago now. Its odd we only did the one chick this time. But Zorro, Jalfrezi's chick of last year lays nice big eggs regularly and its only her first season so to speak...so fingers crossed for a brown version of Zorro:)
    all the best to you and your two!:)
    L:)
    edited June 2010
    Baltiangel- ransom note is in the post!!!!

You've got brilliant names for your chooks!. I've given my oldest son the honour of naming that 1st chick- hes a 29 year old singer/songwriter with a vivid imagination and a wicked sense of humour so i'm dreading what hell pick!
    My daughter gets to choose a name for the second.My youngest son named georgie- it was george for the 1st five weeks- thats how good i am at sexing:D
    Georgie looks huge in the photo but she is a bantam just all feather and fluff!
    Brahma was one of the breeds used when the Faverolles breed was first invented so im hoping these 2 chicks will end up similar size etc to georgie.
    Good luck with yours being a lovely egg laying pullet!
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, Ive given us five star rating for having twins 2 hundred miles apart! They are very similar in ages too I think looking at the dates. I ll get round to posting up a picture of ours one of these days. the pics are on another computer and its such a fiddle...oh well. Then we can compare:)
    We have ten again now.Jalfrezi and Korma the two eldest three and a half years old, Biryani the blue partridge brahma bantam two and a half years old, Bhindi bhaji one of my mums chicks two years old, Peshwari Naan, the cockerel also from mum two years old and Bhindi's brother, although to look at them you wouldn't guess they were related ! Zorro, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Coriander, all a year old and really laying and going broody well:D We are hoping Brinjal will live up to her reputation and be a big egg layer(and a little broody).
    all the best
  • spodski Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    They are soooo cute!
    edited June 2010
    I probably have recounted the tale of my earlier hatch of 9 cockerels to 2 hens........ took months to rehome the boys.

The appalling ratio I have mentioned above doesn't always apply though. My last hatch is looking like 2 cockerels to 5 hens.

As I have allowed all my birds to mingle I seem to have an orange and cream coloured character who I have uninventively named Ginger as that name really could be either male or female......but s/he is looking like a very big pullet....(Fingers crossed as rehoming a ginger cockerel may be tricky....)

Sandie
    edited June 2010
    Hi Sandie Any chance of some pics - there's a shortage of Brahma chick pics on the web........and ill have something to compare mine with:D
    Thanks
    edited June 2010
    Hi,
    Here are a few pics.The first is of some of the boys and the rest are chicks;

The second picture of a chick is, I think, a Dark Brahma pullet. The third picture of four chicks are from left to right are, Gold Brahma cockerel, Dark Brahma pullet, Dark Brahma pullet, Gold Brahma pullet. (I think!) The white legs in the background is the chicken-friendly border collie.

The last picture is of ?? Blue Partridge pullet or mixed Brahma, and then there is Ginger....who is.....well I don't really know!

The chicks are just over 5 weeks old and all chicks were abandoned by their mums yesterday who went to free range with the others.

Here are some of my little flock,
    Sandie
    edited June 2010
    Your boys are magnificent- i love their pantaloons:D
    Ive got something to compare them to now when they get to 5 weeks.I hope they look as fit and healthy as yours do.
    I'm assuming my bantams will be a mini version of the large fowl when it comes to colouring and markings.One looks alot like your gold pullet, the other same colouring as your cockerel EEK!

P.S i'll probably be nagging you again on Wednesday;)
    edited June 2010
    Hi,
    I think the bantams have pretty similar colouring to the larger variety. They ARE very difficult to sex early on, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Feather sexing of most Brahmas is very difficult.
    The boys only have the tiniest little ridge of bumps for a comb at this 5-6 week stage, so facial furniture doesn't help a lot either!
    Keep the pics. coming and I will carry on guessing (and probably getting it wrong!)

Sandie
    edited June 2010
    Sandie, any tips on posting pics bigger than the file size allowed? Did you uplaod to a site before and is his easy to do? or how do I get the file size compressed please?
    thanks
  • Marty Member
    edited June 2010
    L - If you have the image stored ("hosted") elsewhere, you can embed it in a post by using the "Insert Image" feature. In this case, size is only limited to where the image is located (hosting plan, personal server's hard drive, image hosting sites such as imageshack.us http://tinypic.com/ etc), but if it is removed from that location it will no longer available here so I try to attach instead. It is a tradeoff quality vs longevity... I would go for the first but with my recent medical-related questions (my hen may have cancer) others may reference my posts in the future so I attached instead.

Here is the embedded image of "Insert Image": image
    edited June 2010
    Hi,
    Uploading pictures to another site eg. Google or Photobucket is very easy. pictures can easily be condensed to say 50% (which is what I usually use) via Windows Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
    As a bit of a technophobe I have a Mac computer and Aperture which compresses pictures to 50% automatically.
    The other methods are pretty simple, though.
    Hope this helps,
    Kind Regards,
    Sandie
    edited July 2010
    Thanks y'all!!!:D
    Just got round to remembering I asked this question:o
    Ta muchly