We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

One dies another born

tigger49tigger49 Member
edited December 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
I had eggs in an incubator out of 11 eggs one suvived which was sad at the time. On Christmas Eve one of my older Hen became lame (dont know why)
I nursed Christmas day and due to her deteriating i took her to the vets Boxing Day, the Vet had to put her down. I was so up set as this hen follows me every where i went, she was like my best friend.
It is really strange that the one Chick that survived also sits on my shoulder and when I put her down crys for my attention. We have called her snowie because she was born during the snow. Snowie has helped me get through the loss. (Even typing this has brought tears) I have lots of animals and I love them all dearly BUT the death of my hen had hit me hard. Snowie has made it easier to cope with. My friends think I am silly.
Tigger49

Comments

• ashgroveinnashgroveinn Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Well, Tigger, sorry to hear about your loss, but the only thing certain about keeping animals, is that they will die. This one goes for most pets, really?
    The Power Of The Dog
    by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie--
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find--it's your own affair--
    But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long--
    So why in Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
  • tigger49tigger49 Member
    edited December 2009
    That is so beatiful thank you so much
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Oh Tigger49, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved hen! I know how sad it is to lose a feathery friend. What a beautiful poem Ashegroveinn - it made me cry!

I am so happy that you have a new chick to love and who loves you. Isn't life funny how when one door closes another one opens.

All the best to you and your flock for 2010!
  • ashgroveinnashgroveinn Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    I think everybody that keeps pets should read it. It should be compursary!
  • kernowclickkernowclick Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Very poignant poem. My old Border Collie will spend this,her last week-end in our world. She is over 20 years old and has been my faithful friend since she was 8 weeks old. She has been with me through good times and not so good, we have worked hard, played and had a lot of fun. She has been a tough farm dog, a patient Mum and a gentle friend to all. I will miss her terribly but I owe it to her to do the right thing at the right time. This is I suppose a small price to pay for the years of pleasure our animals give us so selflessly. And will I do it all again? Of course I will, life would be a barren place without them.

On a happier note I would like to wish you all a Happy and Healthy 2010.Lets hope that somehow the world will become a better place, that we learn to care for each other again and tolerance prevails. As Dr Elisabeth Kubler-Ross said

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it were the only one we had".

So make the most of every single day, respect our fellow humans and creatures, count our blessings and ENJOY.
  • tigger49tigger49 Member
    edited December 2009
    I totally agree, We are all gods creatures. Happy New year to all
    Tigger49