We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

My Favourire Hen Passed away

chicken chickchicken chick Senior Member
edited December 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
:( I can't believe how sad I am about my little hen passing away. She died of an Infection due to an egg breaking inside her.
She was an Ex battery Girl and I had her 8 months. She was so friendly!
Despite looking after her really well and taking her to the vets she still didn't make it:(
I feel stupid getting so upset over a Chicken! She was so lovely though:)
Is anybody else out there as daft as me??:rolleyes:

Comments

• KerryKerry Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi, i am very sorry to hear about your little hen you must be soooooo sad, and yes i think there are a lot of people out there who love their chickens. I must admit i was supprised myself at how quickly i to fell in love with them ( i never expected it to happen). Before i had chickens i just thought that chicken were chickens (nothing special) and i'm glad to say i was wrong they are fantastic, such personalities, friendly, loving and so much fun. I love mine to bits, I can not express how much, they are such a joy to have. Just try and concentrate on the fact you gave her 8 months of love and care, i'm sure they were the best she ever had (be proud of yourself).
    Kerry.
  • BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    I agree with all Kerry said...I love them just as much or more than my cats, and I still get upset when I think of the ones we have lost to illness or predators. I am so attached and I think its much more natural than NOT being so! I also think that they know too so your little one would have known how much you cared for her. All the best,
    L
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    I am such a softy when it comes to my hens. I have been sobbing in the vets waiting room because of a sick ex-battery girl, who later died. I felt such a fool but I couldn't help it. I then cried all afternoon and still feel sad now, nearly a year on. I wonder if we feel more for these ex-bat girls because they have been through so much before and we feel more protective of them. The problem with hens is that we love them as much as our dogs and cats and yet their lives are so precarious with foxes, other people's dogs, birds of prey, lack of knowledgeable poultry vets ..... I must admit that I spend more time worrying about my girls than anything else! So much so that when my two remaining two go, I'm not sure I could bear the heartache of replacing them and going through it all again!
  • maryhowarthmaryhowarth Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    I have read this thread with interest and agree yes we do fall in love.

I think it is a need to care for something that needs us.
    I love my Girls (5 exbatts)
    I do think that you should get more because you need to think that if you didn't rescue anymore then what will happen to them.
    I know we can't save them all but each one needs someone to care.
    It was so funny watching mine learn to scratch the floor and stretch their wings for the first time. no it wasn't funny it was a pleasure mixed with pride.
    every day before their death is a gift.
    we look at hens as animals and not egg laying money machines.
    if I ever buy eggs I make sure they are from free range hens.
    I don't mind paying more.

hope you all have a good Christmas and new year brings you lots of new ex batt girls.
  • tigger49tigger49 Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi my hen is poorly at the mo, i feel alittle silly and helpless. We can only go on what we see, it would make it esier if they could tell us what is wrong.
    I love all my animals very much and dred the day one will die. I just pray to god my girl get better as she is also a loving Bat Hen
    Tigger49
    edited December 2009
    Hi, thank you for your kind words. It is a happy thought that there are others out there loving their hens as animals rather than egg layers. We have friends who despatch their girls as soon as they stop laying. It would never cross my mind to do that - she thinks I'm soppy. As far as I'm concerned the eggs are a bonus to the joy that they give us as pets.
  • cheapkitescheapkites Junior Member
    edited December 2009
    Hello,
    I notice that we have some favourite sites in common.

We started with ten ex-battery hens and I think looking after them is one of the most rewarding things you can do. I'm in the North Yorkshire Smallholders Society and we organise rehoming ex-batts direct from a local farm. The farmer lets us know when he has some ready.

A friend of mine looks after any that look too awful until they are fit to be seen by first-time chicken keepers - we don't want people to be put off right from the start and it's better for the hens.
    Thank you and your friend for all you do for ex-bats. Yes, I must admit that when I first saw my girls I was horrified by the state of them. They had long claws that curled right round, had hardly any feathers and they STANK! It really gave me quite a shock - I didn't think they would be that bad. I agree with you though, that it is so rewarding nurturing ex-bats and seeing them turn into real hens, scratching, having dust baths and becoming their own personalities.
  • chicken chickchicken chick Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouagement! Its been over a month now since I lost lady Bacon and I am feeling more positive about it all.
    I gave her a nice burial in the back garden:)

All my other Hens are doing well despite the cold weather. Very funny seeing them running out in the morning into the snow and then trying to work out what to do with it!:D

Since Lady Bacon died I have been looking after my other girls with extra, extra special care. Determined not to let anything happen to the others.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, I don't feel so daft now:)

J
    edited December 2009
    Here are before and after pics of Ginger, one of my rescue hens. Im sure you will agree she is now a beautiful Hen!:D Also a few pics of Ex battery hens sunning themselves etc

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/joannelago/?
    action=view&current=Image014.jpghttp://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/joannelago/?action=view&current=Image122.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Chicken chick what beautiful girls you have got. :) Your lovely pics of the ex-bats with feathers look just like my Dora! It really is a worthwhile thing to do. I was shocked at how poor the free range girls looked but your battery girls looked in better shape than mine when they first arrived - they literally looked ready for the oven with about two feathers a piece! Dora also loves to sleep on laps and Iffy, her friend follows us like a little dog. They all have such big personalities and are such lovely pets to have.
    edited December 2009
    iloveexbatts, Your right, the ex free rangers are in a terrible state. They are worth rescuing as well. A local guy who rescues ex batts in the thousands, also rescues these supermarket free rangers as well. So so sad:(
    Although they dont look great they are nowhere near as timmid as ex batts when you get them.
    If anybody is thinking of keeping chickens but thinks ex batts will be too much hard work then these girls will be a good option instead. :)