Chicken Cough

Vickyxx Junior Member
my poor chicken sounds like its got a really bad cough ...it looks and acts fine except for this cough that seems to be getting progressively worse...someone suggested I wring its neck which I will not do unless its in pain and like I said it looks and acts healthy ...anyone got any idea what it might be?:confused:
I have 14 hens and a rooster and shes the only one that has this cough...sounds like a really bad smokers cough sort of congested...and plemy

Comments

• Sandy Senior Member
    edited November 2006
    Sounds like your bird has CRD

Here is some information.. Treatment is listed here as well ... if your from the US.. then you can buy these meds on line or at most feed stores.. if you live in the UK or Australia.. then you will need to see your local vet and it could be expensive

Here is the information.. and I'm pleased you didn't wring your birds neck.. it can be helped

Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)

Is a common, chronic, lingering disease.
    Symptoms include a nasal discharge, coughing and sometimes a swollen sinus below the eye. Infection can occur via the egg or from bird to bird.
    Good hygiene and veterinary prescribed antibiotics can control the problem.
    Reference:By officers of DPI's Animal and Plant Health service

Shows as flu-like symptoms and is often caused by a number of different bacteria.
    It is found where birds are overcrowded in cold, drafty conditions.
    Antibiotics are used to clear up this problem.
    Reference: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

Chronic Respiratory Disease Information

Also called:
    CRD, MG, PPLO (pleuropneumonialike organism), stress disease (one form of mycoplasmosis) (the same disease in turkeys is called “infectious sinusitis”)

Incidence:
    Common worldwide

System/Organs affected:
    Respiratory, sometimes entire body

Progression:
    Chronic, spreads slowly, last longer in cold weather

Symptoms:
    In broilers, 3 to 8 weeks old: drop in feed consumption, slow growth
    In growing or mature birds, no symptoms or droopiness, coughing, sneezing, rattling, gurgling, swollen face, nasal discharge, ruffled feathers, frothy eyes, squawky crow, drop in laying, sometimes darkened head, loss of appetite, weight loss, yellowish droppings

Percentage affected:
    Nearly 100 percent of your flock can be affected by this

Mortality:
    Usually low, except in young birds

Incubation period
    5 to 21 days

Postmortem findings:
    Thick mucus in nasal passages and throat; cheesy material in air sacs; thickened heart sac; transparent film coving heart

Similar diseases
    Coryza
    Cholera
    Newcastle disease
    Infectious bronchitis
    Infectious laryngotracheitis
    Fowl cholera

Cause:
    Mycoplasma Gallisepti*** bacteria, often aided by Escherichia coli and / or a reovirus; often seen in combination with cholera, infectious bronchitis, infectious coryza, Newcastle, often follows vaccination for infectious bronchitis or Newcastle

Transmission:
    Contagious; contact with infected or carrier birds and their respiratory discharges; inhaling contaminated dust; spread from breeders through hatching eggs; spreads on shoes, crates, etc

Prevention:
    Purchase mycoplasma free stock; minimize stress due to sudden weather changes, feed changes, drafts, chilling crowding, transporting, showing, worming, vaccinating dust and ammonia fumes, vaccinate
    After an outbreak clean and disinfect housing and leave empty for a few weeks

Treatment:
    Antibiotics – Terramycin or Tylosin (Tylan), or erythromycin (Gallimycin) will help to treat the C.R.D

It has been found that an injection of Tylan 200 - 0.5 ml in the breast muscle, and a follow up injection 48 hrs later gives excellent results

Some people give the dosages below, it will be up to you to make the call as to how much you give you bird, as to how severe the problem is
    For a bantam hen give between 0.1-0.2.ml .
    For a larger fowl give between 0.2-0.3 just depends on its weight

The dose for a turkey is the same as a chicken (for Tylan).
    Between 30-35 mg/kg, two to three times per day depending on severity.
    The Tylan injectable can be given orally but it isn’t as effective as when you give it by injection.
    If you can't get Tylan, see if you can get lincospectin (30-60 mg/kg, once a day, subcutaneously). Baytril will also work (available through your vet) at a dose of 10-15 mg/kg.
    Any of the tetracycline drugs will help but they are not as effective as the others (and Baytril does tend to cause crop problems).

And if this disease has a hold the water soluble medications are useless

• Sandy Senior Member
    edited November 2006
    Looloo/Australia
    “Tylan 200 injections are the only way to go with this...I use it regularly when I have to...you must get it from the veterinarians and he will give you several needle sharps and a plastic syringe...He will tell you the correct amounts as it can differ depending on the weight of your birds...I have bantams and leghorns. When a bantam needs the Tylan I administer between 0.1-0.2 mg for a hen for a bantam roo I give between 0.2-0.3 mg...Sounds like your chooks are bigger than bantams so it would be better to give them a higher dose...this is where the vet will help....”

Crazychick/Laura/Canada
    CRD can be controlled using Tylan and, if your bird has a serious case of it, Tylan in combination with Amicaycin (amiglyde). Although there are two trains of thoughts, both accepted by vets and poultry owners alike, I like the following dosage and schedule for dosing of Tylan: In birds that have less acute symptoms, such as rattling, sneezing, mild lethargy but no real loss of appetite, I give Tylan twice a day (morning and night) at a dose of 35 mg/kg. Tylan lasts in the system for 8 hours and then its useful life is over. You can give 35 mg/kg three times a day in acute cases (rattling, struggling to breathe, wheezing, loss of appetite) and it can be given in combination with Amicaycin - Amicaycin is a powerful antibiotic usually given to large animals, so dose it carefully. It should be given subcutaneous at a dose of 250 mg/kg, once a day. If you are having repeated recurrences of CRD in your flock, giving two shots only, spaced apart, may be leading to resistance to that antibiotic in your birds. Another good drug is Baytril, available thru your vet, and can be given twice a day at a dose of 15 mg/kg. Both Tylan injectable and Baytril injectable can be given orally, if care is taken not to get it in their lungs. I give it half a cc at a time when they are exhaling mixed with baby food to lessen the taste as it is quite bitter, lessening the chances of inhalation. Baytril can and will cause a yeast infection in the crop of the bird if given for an extended period of time (over 10 days) and so should be given in combination with nystatin antifungal if given for longer than that. Tylan doesn't typically cause yeast infections but, as Sandy mentioned, give yoghurt at the same time to keep the gut bacteria happy.

Laura/Crazychick
    Just to help with the math, as well... If you have, say, a 1.3 kg bird and you want to know how much tylan to give it at a dose of 35 mg/kg. You know that you need to multiply 35 mg x 1.3 as this is the weight (in kg) of the bird. This tells you that your bird needs (35mg/kg x 1.3kg = 45.5 mg). Now you know how many mg you bird needs, but how much tylan is that? Well, if there's 200 mg/ml in tylan 200, then (you can use cross-multiplication too for this) divide 200 mg/ml into 45.5 mg to tell you how many ml you need. 45.5 mg / 200 mg/ml = .2275 ml which is 0.23 cc or 23 units. On a 1 cc syringe, it is very easy to measure out 23 units of tylan. Then you would give this orally, three times per day. I suggest orally, because poking your chicken in the breast muscle three times per day can damage the muscle and cause bruising etc. If you draw up the drug, ALWAYS use a sterile syringe and needle and don't use the same syringe to draw it up as the one you use to squirt it into their mouths - I prefer to mix the drugs with babyfood to help it taste a little better.

Hopefully the above math is easy enough to figure out. Remember- just figure out how many mg of drug the bird needs, then figure out how many ml of the drug they need (at the drug's concentration) to properly dose them.

Laura

I insert the needle in the fatty part of the upper breast area avoiding the crop (food sack)...just feel for this muscle area and insert the needle into this muscle about 1 cm. This stuff is fast acting so do them immediately or you will loose the lot...Tylan 200 injectable costs around $40 a bottle in Australia.

Good hygiene and veterinary prescribed antibiotics can control the problem
    There are several antibiotics when, given in large enough doses, will help control the disease and minimise secondary bacterial complications, although they usually do not control the disease completely

Survivors are carriers

Pullets reared in isolation can be vaccinated to prevent infection with Mycoplasma gallisepti***
    It is found where birds are overcrowded in cold, drafty conditions
    If your bird has been treated for over two weeks and no there is no bloody discharge, it would probably not be ILT or CRD, but more than likely secondary bacterial infections have set in

If you have been giving your bird antibiotics, and there has been no change in the birds condition, you might have to look at micro-abscesses or necrosis in lungs or congestive heart failure

If this is the case you will have to get out the big guns in the antibiotics
    Baytril at 15mg.kg twice a day, then try Tylan injectable (only available through a vet) it boosts the effectiveness of the Tylan and is given subcutaneously once a day
    Lincospectin injectable is another

Human health risk:
    None known

Explanation about CARRIERS

Contributed by:- Crazychick/Laura – http://happyhenhouse.proboards43.com
    To ease your fears about carrier birds, CRD and coryza, just ponder the following.
    Once a bird has had or BEEN EXPOSED TO either disease, they can be lifelong carriers. However, this being said, it doesn't mean that they are going to be constantly spreading the disease to every chicken in your flock, every day for the rest of their lives.

In times of stress (moulting, sick with another disease, introduction of new flock members...) the carrier chickens can shed the bacteria and cause problems.

But, if you can keep the stress levels down, introduce new flock members slowly (with a quarantine period) and boost their nutrition during moulting, you will lessen the shedding of bacteria. Both diseases are very common, CRD is especially common.

Many birds will develop resistance to these diseases and never show a single symptom - they are still carriers.

If you have a flock that has resistance to the diseases and new flock members are allowed to develop the same resistance through gradual exposure, your flock should be fine.

CRD is passed from a sick hen through the egg to the chick (in some cases, not all) and treating the chicks with Tylan upon hatching is not a bad idea.
    It gives them a boost until they can develop their own resistance.

Coryza is not passed through the egg to the chick.

But if you are concerned about any hatching chick, I'd treat it with Tylan when it hatches...

Reference from http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry
    Reference: http://www.eboards4all.com
    Reference: The Chicken Health Hand Book: By Gail Damerow
    Reference: Looloo/Leisa http://happyhenhouse.proboards43.com
    Reference: Crazychick/Laura http://happyhenhouse.proboards43.com
  • PaulMcM Junior Member
    edited August 2008
    There is a lot of useful information here for those with small flocks of chickens. Keep in mind that there are many other causes of coughing/sneezing - CRD is more likely when it goes on for a prolonged period. If it is CRD early treatment is recommended. A simple blood test can be carried out to confirm status. Antibiotics should be used under veterinary guidance. Tylan 200 is not licensed for chickens in most countries (in the UK there is a specific notice on the pack saying do not give to chickens and turkeys) so a prolonged withdrawal period should be applied prior to using eggs/meat for human consumption (with this formulation there is likely to remain residues at the injection site for very long periods). Tylan Soluble, on the other hand, can be used repeated in drinking water for periods of up to 5 days at a time and now has a zero egg withdrawal in the UK.
  • Tanz Junior Member
    edited August 2008
    I had what sounds like the same problem last year with one of ours. Someone suggested getting 'citrocidal'-grapefruit seed extract. This apparently is a 'natural antibiotic'. It is used for poultry & humans. I could only find the tablet form in the healthfood shops but found a liquidform online. You just put drops in the drinking water everyday. It did the job for my hen and is good for dealing with the start of colds!!
    Good luck, hope this helps.
  • tlk2theanimals@yahoo.com Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    please help need to find where i would get the shots for my hens :confused: :confused:
  • Annvdb Junior Member
    edited July 2012
    Hey everyone!

I need some urgent help with Tylan dosage.

My new chicken started showing a runny nose, then sneezing. All 4 of my chickens got infected then, they had to take baytril for 7 days. It cleared except with the little one who first showed signs of the illness.
    Then boom, they all got sick again. had to use soludox 15 % in drinking water.
    Had to do it for longer because it didnt go away, and it stil didnt! So vet said: the only thing left to try is tylan.

I got tylen from http://www.dovital.nl/Webwinkel-Product-1557892/Tylosin-Tartrate-10-(tylan)-100g-Export.html
    it says: 5 gram per liter or 10 gram per kg food

But what is the dosage per kg of chicken? Because they dont eat the same and I dont want to overdo the antibiotics.

Because they are all sick again. My oldest one was caughing like 8 times in a row! The weather here in belgium isnt helping either. It has rained a lot, with a lot of wind lately, which is not normal for summer. A few hot days but then again colder + rain.

Thx in advance :)

Ann
  • hello
    im from iran and for some reasons lots of drugs are not accessible here to use.
    i have 50 chickens and some of them are getting respiratory diseases and i dont know what to do.
    the place i live in is very cold and used some pills but it didnt help.
    would you please help me?
    thank you
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 18
    hi
     sorry your chickens are unwell
    the biggest problem you have is that respiratory diseases in poultry are very contagious so unless you can separate the sick ones and put in force good barrier controls then you will need to treat them all
     tylan is the best antibiotic used here in uk but im sure that in your country you would be able to find another suitable broad spectrum antibiotic  e.g. do you have tetracycline in your country?
    what type of watering system do you have?it wont cure them quickly but may help to add acv to their water -2 tsp per litre, or a clove of garlic per ltr or add the garlic to their food
     hope you find a solution soon
     kath