We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Brooding chicks

HGreenstreetHGreenstreet Junior Member
edited October 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi,
I have two chicks now 5 weeks old, fully feathered. I am keeping them indoors as their mum died. They have a heat lamp at night. I want to know when you think it might be safe to put them outside with the other chickens bearing inmjind it is getting to be cold at night. I have reared them by hand and would be desolate if they died of cold. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks:confused:

Comments

• ashgroveinnashgroveinn Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    at 5 weeks they do not need the heatlamp for starters. Make a small "house", a box with a small opening.Clean bedding, and they can live in that in your henhouse within a couple of weeks, but dont leave it too long, so they get too big. If the box is not too big, it is surprising how warm it gets, when they are all in there. But knock off that heatlamp for starters, they will have to get used to live without it.
    But remember: a SMALL opening, so they can use the house as a safehaven from the othet chickens, because they WILL bully them. Use a thick cardboard box, and expand the opening as the chicks grow. Let them live in that box for a few days, so they get used to go in and out. use a bigger open box as a "run".
    Good luck