converting website visitors R-Com Suro 20? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

R-Com Suro 20?

mnod30 Junior Member
I have eggs set in a Rcom suro20 and up till now it was keeping humidity at 45, now that I'm in the last stages I need to increase the humidity but eventhough I've increased the speed of the pump its not maintaining a humidity of 65 or over and I'm worried that the fluctations in humidity will affect hatch rate. Has anyone used one before and any idea how I can get it to maintain a constant humidity??

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Hi there,

I've got a King Suro 20 on loan for review at the moment and am just about at the high humidity stage for hatching before I write my review.

When I tested it during a dry run, it was fine but if you can't get the humidity up, as an emergency measure, add some wet kitchen roll doubled over several times to about 1/4 normal size (5 or 6 pieces), the end dipped into some water to increase the water evaporation inside the unit. If humidity goes above 75% for a day, reduce the surface area of the kitchen roll.

The rate of evaporation / surface area of the kitchen roll and amount of ventillation will determine the humidity in the air as well as the external humidity in the air being drawn into the incubator.

Hope this is of use to you... good luck.

Tim
  • mnod30 Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    You are a mind of information Tim! I tried putting in a small cap of water oneside in the hope that it would work but it didnt really but I contacted the dealer and there is a menu option, press the + and - button together, then press ok to keep the temp at 37.5 and then it gives you the humidity option, just increase it to 65, and press ok, it will sk you to set the high and low alarm , I just pressed ok again. I found that it would go up to 67 and down to 63 so I set it to 66 and it more or less maintained it at 65 for me then, thats the hatch of buff and L sussex I mentioned in my previous post. I think the King is fairly good with less hassle than a conventional automatic incubator but my main fault is that when you have 2-3 hatch fairly close together that they bash the other eggs about a bit too much, It recommends that you take out the dividers when you stop the turning but I think that these should remail to minimise the bashing by the other chicks. I've another question that I'll make a new Thread for. wouldn't mind your thoughts on it if you wouldnt mind? Thanks
    Mary
  • nadf78 Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi there mnod30
    i am a Rcom suro20 user aswell just need some assitance from you if you dont mind, im on the second day of hatching process, my first query is that i would like to no the amount of water you have to pump into the icubator for a day or for an hour, unfortunately the catalog that i have does not enclose all the details, also i'd like to know if i have to cover the incubator with a cloth to prevent it from sun light.

if you can please provide me any other necessary tips if available

thanking you

regards
    niroshan

mnod30 said:
    I have eggs set in a Rcom suro20 and up till now it was keeping humidity at 45, now that I'm in the last stages I need to increase the humidity but eventhough I've increased the speed of the pump its not maintaining a humidity of 65 or over and I'm worried that the fluctations in humidity will affect hatch rate. Has anyone used one before and any idea how I can get it to maintain a constant humidity??
  • glostaff Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    I have just gone through my first hatch didn,t have any problems setting humidity ,however i had 8 hatch fine with no problems the other 8 didn,t hatch and were dead fully formed in the egg ,as the eight hatched fine i am wondering what went wrong or was it just bad luck any imput would be appreciated.
  • mollybee Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    glostaff said:
    I have just gone through my first hatch didn,t have any problems setting humidity ,however i had 8 hatch fine with no problems the other 8 didn,t hatch and were dead fully formed in the egg ,as the eight hatched fine i am wondering what went wrong or was it just bad luck any imput would be appreciated.
    Did you open the door/lid during the harch stage this can let the moisture escape resulting in lost humidity, just a thought.... very sad though. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his 8 eggs where only 2 hatched. His humidity dropped during the very last stages. 2 hatched, 3 stuck in shell and didn't even pip and the other 3 piped but didn't make it out of the shells.... very very sad. He found out that his young boys got excited and opened the lid to see that 2 that had hatched upsetting the others hatching process.
    My other breeding friend sprays his eggs on the very last day and while they are pipping with a house plant water spryer, spraying a fine mist, works a treat at keeping the humidity high enough to help the hatch....
    Fingers crossed for your next hatch..xx
  • cat Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    I've had the rcom suro incubator since christmas and have been setting eggs constantly. At first i was following all the instructions for high humidity in the hatching process and i was finding fully formed chicks dead in the shell. I rang up the man i bought the eggs off who was a chicken breeder for a living who said that less is more when it comes to humidity and recommended trying a lower humidity so... i go for 43% untill day 18 when i raise it to 46,days 19 i raise it to 50,day 20, 55 and then day 21 to 60-65. It sounds complicated but i had better results for chicks growing to full term and also they were quicker at getting out of their shell and didnt get stuck to the membrane like previously. If you use this incubator and are having problems you could give this a try, i would be interested to know if other people find that it works.
  • simbohelen Member
    edited May 2010
    I bought a RCOM SURO this year and put 6 x German Langshan, 6 x Ixworth, 6 x Buff Orpington and 6 x Welsummer in. The outcome I got first time was German Langshan were infertile, 6 Ixworth hatched, 6 Buff Orpington hatched and 5 Welsummer hatched, other infertile. So as you can expect I was very impressed!! I have my second lot of eggs in now, which are 2 x Pekin, 6 x Modern Game, 6 x Vorwerk, 6 x Cuckoo Marans and 6 x Lakenvelder ....so fingers crossed.
  • pwb1953 Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi All - Bought R Com Suro 20 2 days ago. I've tried to follow the instructions but Korean to English translation is lacking somewhat. I set the eggs last night, tested the pump (works good for 2 mins as per + button - forced feed), temperature is holding at 37.5 ish OK etc.

NO water was pumped in last night so, is the pump meant to drop water ALL the time or only when required? I know the pump is working and feeding the correct way when it is 'forced' to pump (+ button etc). Is the humidity in the incubator affected by the humidity in the room that the incubator is sited in therefore no extra water required.??

Thanks..
  • cat Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    When i set it up i usually pump the water up to the top of the tube so that when water is needed,the pump moves and the water is quickly added to the incubator. You said that no water has gone in but is the humidity maintaining the setting that you required? if so then its usual,it only pumps if the humidity is below your humidity setting. If the humidity has fallen then you probably have a problem. Do you have the air hole open a small bit? The room will affect the humidity within the incubator. good luck with your hatch x
  • pwb1953 Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks CAT. Yes, the water has been pumped (by me) to the top of the chamber & I've seen it go on to the pad when I've been 'force pumping' it.
    Air hole/ vent is not open. Should it be? Humidity still holding steady at 45%.

Thanks
  • cat Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Ive tended to leave it open about a third of the way as the eggs need a supply of oxygen, you should then open it fully when the chicks begin to hatch. how exciting that you'll soon have some chicks, good luck hatching
  • edited December 2012
    Sorry I forgot to pop back and provide a link to the review I wrote of the RCOM King Suro... but just came across this thread again so thought I'd let you know (even if it's a little late now).

You can find it here: RCOM King Suro Review.

I hope it helps others looking at this incubator. I've still got one going strong here, overall I'm very happy with it.

Tim
  • NineChooks Junior Member
    edited May 2013
    I have used the RCOM SURO and I think its a good incubator, I haven't had any problems hatching in it.

The RCOM 20 is pretty good too, I had it before this one.

John,

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management